Question about hop harvesting article

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonas217

Reaction score
I just read this article on the American Hombrewer Association website and I think they might be incorrect on one point.

Here is a direct quote "Pick a cone, roll it in your hands and smell it. If it has a pungent smell between cut grass and onion, it’s time to harvest."

My question is if it smells like onion isn't it too far gone to use? Shouldn't it smell like the variety of hops you are growing with maybe a grassy smell.

Here is a link to the article

I think what they're getting at is that if it smells either like grass or onion, you're either too early or too late, in between and you're good to go.

think what they're getting at is that if it smells either like grass or onion, you're either too early or too late, in between and you're good to go.

Now that I read it again I'm sure you are right about that. I think they should have added a few more words to that sentence to explain that point better.

Latest posts

Back