Question about getting fresh apples & using store juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnyderCider

Reaction score
Two questions for a newbie!
1.) how do Cider Mills (have one near my house) make cider when apples are out of season?

2.) can I make a good cider with regular juice that is at a super market? I’d like to add some flavors too but a book I’m reading only has that option if you add other fruits during the juicing process.

Last edited:
how do Cider Mills (have one near my house) make cider when apples are out of season?
Same way stores get all kinds of fruits that are out of season: they buy it from somewhere else.

The cider mill nearest to me only produces cider from local apples and therefore is only open for a couple months during the fall.

can I make a good cider with regular juice that is at a super market? I’d like to add some flavors too but a book I’m reading only has that option if you add other fruits during the juicing process.
Yes, possibly, but your results will vary depending on the quality of the juice. Make sure it has no preservatives (e.g. sorbate).

Welcome to HBT

Two questions for a newbie!
1.) how do Cider Mills (have one near my house) make cider when apples are out of season?

2.) can I make a good cider with regular juice that is at a super market? I’d like to add some flavors too but a book I’m reading only has that option if you add other fruits during the juicing process.
Check out the Cider Forum and Cider Recipes sections here. LOTS of information on using store bought juice, adding flavors, etc. That's what I did and I have made some pretty tasty ciders using inexpensive juice from Aldi.

Same way stores get all kinds of fruits that are out of season: they buy it from somewhere else.

The cider mill nearest to me only produces cider from local apples and therefore is only open for a couple months during the fall.

Yes, possibly, but your results will vary depending on the quality of the juice. Make sure it has no preservatives (e.g. sorbate).

Welcome to HBT
Thank you for the info!!

Check out the Cider Forum and Cider Recipes sections here. LOTS of information on using store bought juice, adding flavors, etc. That's what I did and I have made some pretty tasty ciders using inexpensive juice from Aldi.
Thank you!

Back