question about F.G.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the recipe is marked private. Also, what was your mash temp and OG? It's possible that you didn't pitch enough yeast and the slow start caused a loss in attenuation. What style were you doing?

Heres the recipe,had trouble copying it

Brew Method: Partial Mash
Style Name: Robust Porter
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons
Boil Size: 6 gallons
Efficiency: 79%

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.07
Final Gravity: 1.019
ABV (standard): 6.72%
IBU (tinseth): 28.05
SRM (morey): 28.6

FERMENTABLES:
1 lb - Flaked Oats (8%)
1.5 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Light (12%)
1 lb - Caramel / Crystal 20L (8%)
0.5 lb - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (4%)
5 lb - Pale 2-Row (40%)
2 lb - Maris Otter Pale (16%)
1 lb - Chocolate (8%)
0.5 lb - Brown Sugar (4%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Challenger (AA 7.2) for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.5 oz - Fuggles (AA 4.2) for 30 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.5 oz - Fuggles (AA 4.2) for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
3 oz - organic cocoa powder + 1/2 cup corn sugar, Time: 60 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Boil
0.14 oz - vanilla bean = 1 bean soaked in bourbon, Time: 999 min, Type: Spice, Use: Secondary

YEAST:
Wyeast - Irish Ale 1084
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Average Attenuation: 73%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temperature: 62 F - 72 F

PRIMING:
Method: bottled with corn sugar
Amount: 3/4 cup

NOTES:
mashed at 155- 3.5 gallons 60 min
1st runnings 1.086
final runnings 1.011
added DME at 40 min
O.G. 1.070
racked to secondary 1-5-12 1.023
Generated by Brewer's Friend - Brewer's Friend, home brewing resources
Date: 2012-01-09 14:58:19 (UTC)

tried posting the recipe no luck.
Heres what I`ve got

O.G. 1.07
1lb flkd oats
1.5lb dme lght
1lb crystal 20
.5 carapls
5lb 2row
2lb marris
1lb choclate malt
.5 br sugar

mash at 155 -1oz challenger 60 min-.5 fuggles 30 min =.5 fuggles 5 min
added 3oz organic cocoa with1/2c corn sugar at 15 min

yeast wyeast 1084

1 smackpack

this is a robust porter-chocalate vanilla
I have 1 bourbon soaked bean in the secondary right now

thanks for the reply

A few thoughts -

What was your fermentation temperature? You might be able to drop a few more points by moving it to a warmer location (70 max) and giving it a gentle swirl to re-suspend the yeast.

I assume you didn't make a starter? For a 1.070 beer a starter is definitely ideal. Though lots of underpitched beers still attenuate fully

Did you aerate your wort before pitching? If there wasn't enough dissolved O2, then you'd have too few yeast cells going after too many sugars - leading to stressed yeast that poop out early.

Your recipe - sometimes malt extract has trouble attenuating, though less of an issue with DME. When did you add during the boil? 3 pounds of crystal/chocolate malt / flaked oats may also cause you to finish high.

Give it another week or so. It'll be a little sweet, but still probably taste pretty good.

It started at about 72,after initial fermentation it dropped to 66
it now sits in secondary at 64.I aerated with pure o2 for 75 seconds.

I added dme at 40 min.I`m worried about bottling to early.I`d like to get to at least
1.020.My original recipe was to start at 1.064 and finish at 1.017 at 70% efficiency.

It turned out efficiency was 79%.which comes out to 1.07 and finish at 1.019.Does this sound right?I`ve tried to calculate attenuation at 1.023 does 67% sound right and is that acceptable for this yeast.Sweetness is ok because this beer is for my wife.
boil 6.5 batch size 5.5.

thanks for your help,I really appreciate it

1lb flkd oats
1.5lb dme lght
1lb crystal 20
.5 carapls
5lb 2row
2lb marris
1lb choclate malt
.5 br sugar

mash at 155 -1oz challenger 60 min-.5 fuggles 30 min =.5 fuggles 5 min
added 3oz organic cocoa with1/2c corn sugar at 15 min

So a few notes. The DME will never fully attenuate. You mashed on the higher end as well. You also have not only flaked barley but also carapils and crystal. You have a ton of unfermentable sugar which will give it quite a bit of body. Also you managed to get 70-22 so about 68% apparent attenuation which, while under-pitching and most likely not getting enough air into the wort, really isn't bad. Being off by 3GP with everything that can go wrong is really not bad at all.

I brewed on 12-28-2011.should i rouse the yeast in secondary or just let it ride out
for another week and then bottle,Sounds to me that it might be done.Next time should
I aerate longer and pitch more yeast (2 packs of 1084).Will I get bottle bombs at 1.023
or is that a myth.

thanks a lot for your input

I brewed on 12-28-2011.should i rouse the yeast in secondary or just let it ride out
for another week and then bottle,Sounds to me that it might be done.Next time should
I aerate longer and pitch more yeast (2 packs of 1084).Will I get bottle bombs at 1.023
or is that a myth.

thanks a lot for your input

If it's done, it's done... there are any number of reasons why it could be off from expected; temps, volume, yeast attenuation, etc. You're off by 0.004... that is nothing to be twisted up about.. RDWHAHB

Thanks alot to all who replied.I learned a few lessons with your help.

Ty from Wheaton I`m not far from you (Crystal lake),do you think 2/3 cup corn sugar or 3/4 for 5.5 gal

beer taste`s good so for but still green,about about 6.3% hopin` for 6.7
No complaaints I guess -thanks again all-

I checked the calculator and it said 3.7 oz corn sugar.I use tasty brew for some of my recipes but never saw that calculator.I`ll wait a week see if it drops any ,if not then
I`ll bottle it and see what happens.

American Honey wheat Ale in primary

next up,, My Summertime Kolsch

-Cheers Guys-

To all who chimed in on my post thanks a bunch.I took your advice and RDWHAHB.I tasted it today after 14 days in the bottle,it does have A LOT
of body and not to sweet.The chocolate really came through nicely.Me and the
woman (she loves it) are going for it Superbowl Sunday.I figure on giving it 1 more week.Yesterday I used my first starter on a spotted cow clone and it took off in 5 hours.Will see if I can bottom out at about 1.010.I will be using starters from now.This recipe is a keeper I will definetly use a starter next time and maybe get my F.G. down a bit more.I`m sure I underpitched from what you guys said. -Thanks again for all the info you guys gave.

Slainte

Latest posts

Back