Question about bitterness on first all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurds_2408

Reaction score
So I'm making an Irish Red for my first attempt at all grain. Gonna be doin 2.5g batch BIAB with a batch sparge. I'm excited to make this step.

My question is. I went to my LHBS and he helped me work out a recipe. I trust him cause the extract recipes he's set me up with have turned out great but when entering the ingredients into Beersmith the IBUs seem high for a red. This is also my first time using Beersmith as well so I don't really know what I'm doing with it. Here's my recipe:

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 71.1 %
8.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.9 %
8.0 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.9 %
4.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.4 %
4.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.4 %
2.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 6 2.2 %
1.00 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil Hop 41.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 10.0 mi Hop 13.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [35.49 Yeast

I think everything is good based on the beer I was looking for but Beersmith shows it at 55IBUs but shows that Irish Reds should be 17-28. He may have forgot I was only doing 2.5g. I def don't want it to be real bitter/hoppy. So I was thinking of doin just .5oz of each but don't know enough of what I'm doing to be confident in that decision. If ya'll think it'll be alright I'll just go for it though.
Thanks in advance

First make sure the hop IBU matches what you were sold. I know they can range. The AA% rating will be the default in the program.

Also I know beersmith uses some equation to determine IBUs but the IBUs come out on the higher side. I think there's a place to choose the method it uses to calculate as well somewhere in the app. Brew it, take note of the bitterness and then remember it. Watch each brew and learn what 55 IBUs according to the program tastes like.

Is your batch size set up correctly as well?

Hops are generally sold in multiples of 1 oz. But it does look like he gave you double what you need. Whether that was because he flaked on your batch size or just didn't want to break up the 1 oz packages is irrelevant. Just use 1/2 oz for each of those additions.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I have my batch adjusted right. And yes he only sells them in 1oz packages. He told me I could use a little less but suggested using the whole ounce and said it wouldn't be too hoppy.

The amounts he gave look like what you would use in a 5 gal batch, I would cut them in 1/2. sounds like he is a hop head or forgot you are doing 2.5 gal like you said.

Check the Irish Red recipes real quick from northern brewer or midwest and you will get an idea of what you need in your batch.

Cheers :mug:

Back