Question about AG boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbeer

Reaction score
So basically, I'm wondering what the consequences of an interrupted boil are! Example: i run out of propane 60 minutes into my 90 minute boil, so I run to the store to get propane, run back home and bring back to a boil for the remaining 30 minutes. Anything bad happen?

The only thing i can think of is that it might end up with a bit more bitterness from the extended not-boiling-but-hot time. Shouldn't be too much though. [oh crap I got ninja'd]

If you put your lid on when you ran out for more fuel, you might have accumulated some DMS from the steam condensing on the lid and running back into the kettle too. But again, it shouldn't be too much.

I think it'll be alright :mug:

Ok good. This was just a hypothetical situation though. What I actually want to do is,

use a 16 gallon brew pot but would like to try making a 15 gallon biab batch. So basically wondering if I strike/sparge and end up with 15 pre boil, can I boil for 60 minutes (let's say I lose 1.5 gallons evaporation) can I throw in another gallon and boil the remaining 30 minutes?

When I'm doing 5 gallon batches I boil just over 7 gallons in an 8 gallon pot with ferm cap and no issues with boil over so you should be fine

I've used plenty fermcap and while yes it does aid in less foam retention your wort will still expand and swell up until hot break is reached. I'd consider reserving more wort maybe 2-2.5gallons and add that back after your evaporation creates more headspace for you. Just a thought.

I think I would just start the boil with as much as I felt comfortable with for the pot size. The after the hot break, start adding a little at a time, as soon as possible.

Maybe put some of your sparge run into another pot and boil it. I've done that in the past. That will not have much break. I wouldn't bother about any hop additions to that small amount.

I find I need more kettle space for 6 row breaks and bittering hop additions, 4" is good but close. 3" is tight. All the various 2 row that I've used break a little shorter.

If you do decide to add more wort to your boil, I would do it as early as possible, especially if you have Pilsner malt as a base. DMS can only be driven off during boiling and takes some time. Wort sitting at high temperature doesn't volatize DMS and actually leads to more formation of it if you aren't actively boiling.

Back