Question about adding sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_F_30

Reaction score
I have a recipe that says add the grains at 60 min. I know this is for the mash in. However i also need to add candi sugar and corn sugar at 10 minutes. What I don't know is of this is 10 minutes left in the mash or 10 minutes left in the boil? Does anyone know if I should add the sugar during the mash or the boil. This is a recipe from ibrewmaster which uses some northern brewer recipes. Thanks for any thoughts!

Mashing the grains is seperate from the boil. You mash the grains at 150-160 for 45 minutes to an hour. Then sparge them & remove. Then crank it up to boil,get through the foamy hot break. Then add some of the extract if there is any.
What's the recipe? Need details.

It'd be 10 minutes left in the boil, just to allow time to kill any bugs in the sugar. Ideally you don't want grains in water over 170F, so if this is steeping grain recipe you could put them in the water (before adding the extract) for 20-30 min while the water is heating up, then remove them at 170F, and add the extract at that time. (I'm assuming you're not "mashing" the grains)

Recipe calls for In the grains and adjuncts section:
1.66 lbs Pilsen @ 60 min
0.5 lb caramel 60L @ 60 min
0.33 lb candi sugar @ 10 min
0.17 lb corn sugar @ 10 min

It is a 1 gal recipe for a Belgian dark strong ale.

I'm just wondering if anyone has added sugar in the mash step before the boil or should I add the sugar @ 10 min left in the boil? The recipe is vague.

I figured it would be 10 min left in boil as well. Was just getting a second opinion...

Just add to the boil... if you added it to the mash (if you're mashing) the grains would soak up some of the sugar which would affect how much actually ends up in your wort.

I'm confused a bit though, 1.66 lbs of pilsener malt? To get the most of that it'd have to be mashed (likely around 149-154 degrees for a period of time (60 to 90min likely depending on temp). Can you post the entire recipe, including the DME or LME?

Those times are refering to minutes left in the boil. Never add anything but the grains when mashing or steeping. And since it's for 60 minutes,this is mashing,not steeping. You mash with 1-1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain. Closer to 150F gives more fermentables. Closer to 160F gives less fermentables,& more color & flavor. Learn more about what you're attempting before jumping in blind. Sounds like you've got more reading to do.

Back