Quality Kitchen Knives Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Immocles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey folks,
I'm tired of the crappy knife sets that I keep buying from most of the chain stores around here. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a quality kitchen set? We don't need a huge set or anything, but just a pretty standard set of something quality that will last for a lot of years. I'm not opposed to having to buy some knives separately, like a single chef knife, or a set of steak knives.

My current set of kitchen knives from CKTG. https://www.chefknivestogo.com/https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ Great company with excellent knives and a good knife forum to learn from.
Loving the 240 Gyuto (top) and leaf spring Honesuki (3rd from the bottom). I had never used a knife with a Japanese Wa style handle before. It's the only style I'll use from now on.
6DDD1A98-C49D-4CB2-9776-352F5162D033.jpeg

Last edited:
My current set of kitchen knives from CKTG. https://www.chefknivestogo.com/https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ Great company with excellent knives and a good knife forum to learn from.
Loving the 240 Gyuto (top) and leaf spring Honesuki (3rd from the bottom). I had never used a knife with a Japanese Wa style handle before. It's the only style I'll use from now on.
View attachment 684777

Oh man, thats a dangerous site. I could fall into buying some expensive knives on that site with a beer buzz going haha. You've got me curious on handles, now. I'd never really considered the differences before.

I think we are leaning towards eliminating the block on the counter and getting some kitchen shears, a chef knife, a santoku knife, and a set of steak knives.

Thanks for the suggestions folks! Keep em coming, or if theres any 'popular' brands out there to stray from.

:mug:

Cutco makes superb steak knives, but I hate the handles, mostly for aesthic reasons. The serated edge is superior to anything we've used before.

For dicing/slicing, you'll need an 8" chef (and possibly a rocking santoku, if that's your thing). That will do 90% of your kitchen stuff. I'm going to mention the metal here because it has everything to do with how the knife will behave over time. I have two that I use a lot: one is a Miyabi (SG2 steel) that is honed about 10°. That metal will not rust (most high-carbon steel used in japanese knives will), and is very hard (63 on hardness scale). It also holds an edge well. But, it's a little brittle for cutting meat with bone.

For cutting boned meat and similar, a hefty VG10 knife is nice. I have a Calphalon damascus that I've been using for a long time - has some knicks, but still a workhorse for tearing up a pork shoulder or similar. I've got a whole set of those Miyabi knives, different sizes. I recommend them, but they are pricey.

Also, you'll have to figure out how to keep it sharp. Wet stones work great, but require a lot of practice and careful use. I've got a bunch of various sharpeners and find that I use a simple one the most - it has ceramic and diamond wheels. It's in the picture below. Also, see video below for loads of sharpening options and real metrics to compare them.

Can't go wrong on www.culteryandmore.com.

1592073383983.png
1592073393433.png

You've got me curious on handles, now. I'd never really considered the differences before.

For chef's knives, the bolster design is much more important than the handle (assuming you hold one the way I do). The bolster is the thick area where the blade enters the handle. I don't like many of the traditional-looking japanese knives because they don't have a bolster at all - which can leave the blade much heavier than the wood handle. The center of gravity of the knife should be right there at the bolster, so you can hold the knife there and it'll balance. A properly-designed bolster ensures the balance is correct. It also provides a pleasing grip for your thumb and meaty part of your index finger.

I suppose some of this is personal preference of course.

Personally I'd put my vote in for buying knives singly - I prefer to search out qualities among each need and going that way. I'm afraid I won't be much specific help because a number of my knives are no longer made. FWIW, these are mine:

14" chef's knife - Eberhard-Schaaf Goldhamster; Zwilling 8"Chef's; Wusthof Ikon Classic 3 1/2" paring; Zwilling 3" turning; MAC 5" utility; 7" Restaurant Cleaver - F. Dick; a variety of lengths in Chicago Cutlery rigid & flexible filleting and boning knives; roustabout oyster and clam knives, long serrated; long, plain and scallop-edged slicing knives.

Cannot speak to Japanese style knives, though they are superlative. Too many years with a French chef's knife in my hand, and accustomed to German makers.

You probably know this but it's worth mentioning that the Japanese makes are top-level materials, made to a finer, sharper edge, perfect for delicate work (like slicing fish with minimal damage to flesh). They are hardened to a higher Rockwell than the German knives, which means they can hold an edge longer, but this, combined with the thinner profile, means they can chip or even break far easier than German makes.

German knives are thicker, and sharpened to a more obtuse angle. They cut with less delicacy, and don't hold their edge as long as Japanese knives. That said, in a busy kitchen, I've just been accustomed over my life to working with German makes, honing constantly, and plowing on.

Good luck. My takeaway would be to suggest researching out knives for individual needs and holding off on buying by the set.

@Inkleg's assortment of Japanese cutters makes me drool...

Lemme add... Having used all kinds of knives over the past 50-some years, and having a drawer full proving some of that history, I find the 7" Santoku the single most versatile all-round kitchen knife. I can cut, slice, peel, trim, chop/rock for hours without fatigue. It has excellent balance while the smooth, slightly tapered handle feels natural, comfortable. It's become pretty much the only knife I use.

Sure, 7" may be a bit small for certain users and uses, such as dicing or chopping large onions. An 8", 9" or 10" model may be better suited where extra length is desired. But the 7" will do the job.

Of course I use some dedicated knives too, such as a serrated knife (CutCo) for slicing bread, and a small, thin, narrow blade paring knife.

@Immocles Do you have a price point you are looking at? Cooks Illustrated and others have consistently rated the Victorinox Fibrox Pro as being equal in steel quality and function with many of the most expensive European knives at a fraction of the cost. I have Wusthof Classic knives my dad bought me many years ago that are very nice. Some say they are over priced but they have a solid reputation and will last a lifetime. My wife bought me a couple Wusthof Ikon Classic knives a few years ago to supplement the others. It's the same steel but different handle. Those knives feel a lot nicer in the hand so it would be nice to hold some different knives if you can to see what you like.

Decide if you want stamped steel or forged steel. You can get stamped steel blades that are the same metal as forged for less investment. The difference is largely how they feel in your hand. Forged is not necessarily synonyms with quality steel. That varies by manufacturer and manufacturers have various grades of quality also.

I have never had the opportunity to use any of the Japanese knives but the quality ones are said to be another level up from quality German steel. They are sharpened differently so be sure you know how to work with them if you go with a good Japanese steel knife.

My most used knives in order are 7 inch/17cm Santoku hollow edge, 6 inch/16cm utility and 3.5 inch/9cm paring. Once I got the Santuko I kind of stopped using the chef's knife. Top is the Classic handle. The other two are the Ikon handles.

1592080374872.jpeg

Is there such a thing as good, dishwasher safe kitchen knives?
Most manufacturers say their knives are dishwasher safe but don't recommend it. They bang against other things in the dishwasher and dishwasher soap can be harsh if it isn't rinsed off right away. Just wipe your knife with a damp or soapy cloth when your are done, wipe it dry and put it away. Almost all knives are stainless steel these days so the dishwasher should not hurt the steel. Don't put wood handles or carbon steel in a dishwasher.

Traditional Japanese knives are sharpened on one side, with a very narrow primary bevel of 10 deg.; there will then be a micro-bevel a bit broader, usually 15 deg. others are closer to western style in that they are double-beveled and micro-beveled, but either way, they are narrowly beveled; western knives, typically, 20-22 deg., though I think Wusthof is closer to the Japanese, 16-18 or thereabouts.

I use Japanese waterstones for all sharpening. It takes practice, but in my mind, nothing gets you a better edge. There are tons of youtube videos that cover this very well, a plethora by Japanese masters.

I don't know if there's a quality difference between Swedish and Japanese steel; it's just treated differently for different purposes. I could be wrong.

@Immocles Do you have a price point you are looking at? Cooks Illustrated and others have consistently rated the Victorinox Fibrox Pro as being equal in steel quality and function with many of the most expensive European knives at a fraction of the cost. I have Wusthof Classic knives my dad bought me many years ago that are very nice. Some say they are over priced but they have a solid reputation and will last a lifetime. My wife bought me a couple Wusthof Ikon Classic knives a few years ago to supplement the others. It's the same steel but different handle. Those knives feel a lot nicer in the hand so it would be nice to hold some different knives if you can to see what you like.

Decide if you want stamped steel or forged steel. You can get stamped steel blades that are the same metal as forged for less investment. The difference is largely how they feel in your hand. Forged is not necessarily synonyms with quality steel. That varies by manufacturer and manufacturers have various grades of quality also.

I have never had the opportunity to use any of the Japanese knives but the quality ones are said to be another level up from quality German steel. They are sharpened differently so be sure you know how to work with them if you go with a good Japanese steel knife.

My most used knives in order are 7 inch/17cm Santoku hollow edge, 6 inch/16cm utility and 3.5 inch/9cm paring. Once I got the Santuko I kind of stopped using the chef's knife. Top is the Classic handle. The other two are the Ikon handles.

View attachment 684793

I'm not super concerned about pricing. I probably wouldn't want to go completely overboard, but we aren't opposed to buying quality if it costs a bit extra. I'm assuming that a couple of the knives will run at least 75-150$ a piece. I do think we will buy single knives instead of a set. We want the block off the counter, and after doing some rearranging in the kitchen, we found a good spot in the drawer to store knives and get rid of some non-kitchen items. The knife list keeps getting longer though.

Honestly, at the price of that Victorinox knife that you linked, we might just roll with that to start with. If its terrible, I'm only out 30 bucks. She posted a similar thread on one of her hobby forums and the folks there have also suggested that particular one, along with Wusthof Ikon. We do a lot of joint prep work, so two nice knives are needed. I'm sort of falling in love with one of the 7in santoku knives and will purchase one of those babies for myself. I'm terrible at sharpening, but I'm going to do my best to get adequate at it and resharpen up the steak knives we already have. So that leaves a paring knife, at a minimum.

Chef'sChoice is a well rated (not just by Amazon) sharpener. I have an older model and it works really well. It is not as good as a wet stone system but it is usable by the average person without much practice.

The trick is to run the blade through which ever courser stage you are using until you can feel a slight bur on the edge. I have read of folks using this sharpener and saying it did not work well. It takes a lot of passes to get the bur on the edge if you have not sharpened in a while. Done correctly it makes a razor sharp edge. The meat department at our local grocery store will sharpen a knife for free if you bring it in.

No. NO! NO!!

I'm not super concerned about pricing. I probably wouldn't want to go completely overboard, but we aren't opposed to buying quality if it costs a bit extra. I'm assuming that a couple of the knives will run at least 75-150$ a piece. I do think we will buy single knives instead of a set. We want the block off the counter, and after doing some rearranging in the kitchen, we found a good spot in the drawer to store knives and get rid of some non-kitchen items. The knife list keeps getting longer though.
Most of the knives at CKTG are sharpened at 12 deg with one side bevel being specialty knives only. You can get some really great knives in your price range and smile every time you cook.

No. NO! NO!!

haha, I know. It's been the damned hardest thing to keep my wife from putting them in there. In truth, it's fine if they dry immediately (one of mine will rust) and if they aren't abused in there (she likes to jamb them in there with the forks etc - ahhhhh!).

Fortunately, around casa passedpawn, I do most of the cooking, so if the knives end up in the DW it's due to my own laziness for not cleaning up after myself.

I have a cangshan 'Top Cut' nakiri, (cheapest Cangshan), made with sweedish steel ( personal bias) and it is pretty sweet! Good hardness and even though the handle is clunky, it's functional.

Mercer is a decent brand with good value and as mentioned above, Victorianox with fibrox handles are good too.

Cutleryandmore has their nexus brand made with BD1n steel, which seems pretty awesome.

WRT sharpening, it's not overly difficult to get an edge that 'shaves' hair off your forearm. I use an 'Ace hardware', dual grit stone that probably costs <$10 US and finish on a worn, lansky, medium grit diamond hone.

Most manufacturers say their knives are dishwasher safe but don't recommend it. They bang against other things in the dishwasher and dishwasher soap can be harsh if it isn't rinsed off right away. Just wipe your knife with a damp or soapy cloth when your are done, wipe it dry and put it away.

My experience is that most knives either specifically say "do not clean in dishwasher", or omit that they're dishwasher safe.

You lost me after you started telling me how to wash a knife by hand. Some of the worst arguments my wife and I ever had was when we didn't have a dishwasher.

We will never go back.

[shrug] Most dishwasher machine "soaps" are loaded with abrasives.
Two things don't go in our dishwasher: beer glasses, and sharp knives...

Cheers!

Wow, y'all are at another level...i've got some Henkels we got as a gift when we got married...
They go in the dishwasher and when they need it I run them up and down the steel....worth the trade off IMHO...
On the fancy knife front my brother bought me a Kyocera ceramic 6" knife years ago...sharp but awkward, I'm always hitting my knuckles on the cutting board... 😕

DAMN that's a nice set. My only CKTG knife is the Tanaka Blue #2 270mm Gyuto...

1592153099346.png

It's amazing. It's a big knife, but I have large hands and prefer that, and it's got enough length to get over just about anything I cut comfortably. The above pic is from CKTG -- I've had my knife almost 6 months now (Christmas gift from the missus), and mine is developing the patina associated with carbon steel.

I'm looking into getting a smaller gyuto (maybe 210mm) in a stainless alloy, as well as a 150 mm petty/utility knife in the same, and maybe a santoku. My wife is terrified of the 270 mm size and doesn't want to deal with the worry about rusting the carbon steel anyway, so the 270 is only used by me. The 210 and 150 and santoku would be good upgrades for our current blades.

For chef's knives, the bolster design is much more important than the handle (assuming you hold one the way I do). The bolster is the thick area where the blade enters the handle. I don't like many of the traditional-looking japanese knives because they don't have a bolster at all - which can leave the blade much heavier than the wood handle. The center of gravity of the knife should be right there at the bolster, so you can hold the knife there and it'll balance. A properly-designed bolster ensures the balance is correct. It also provides a pleasing grip for your thumb and meaty part of your index finger.

I suppose some of this is personal preference of course.

What I've found with the Japanese knives is that they're very light. A Wusthof Classic is a heavy knife, and I do agree that it's a pleasing pinch grip.

One of the things I did before getting the gyuto was go to Sur la Table and try out the style, because I wasn't sure I'd adapt easily to the handle. They let me try a knife or two on some light cutting of potatoes, and I found it plenty comfortable.

Yeah, it's absolutely personal preference, so I recommend to @Immocles that he take a couple styles of knives at a store for a "test run" before throwing down coin at a site like CKTG.

@Inkleg's assortment of Japanese cutters makes me drool...

Lemme add... Having used all kinds of knives over the past 50-some years, and having a drawer full proving some of that history, I find the 7" Santoku the single most versatile all-round kitchen knife. I can cut, slice, peel, trim, chop/rock for hours without fatigue. It has excellent balance while the smooth, slightly tapered handle feels natural, comfortable. It's become pretty much the only knife I use.

Personally I can't get into the santoku. We have a 7" Victorinox santoku, and it's just an awkward size and shape, and I'm not used to the cutting stroke typically used with a santoku.

My wife loves that knife though, so as said above it might be on the upgrade list down the line too.

My ex and I got a full Wusthof Classic set for our wedding--and I lost those knives in the divorce. Great knives. Pricy, but durable. They'll last forever.

After the divorce, I had to basically stock my own kitchen from scratch, on a budget. I ended up buying a knife block and building my set from individual knives, all Victorinox Fibrox. Ended up with a 10" Chef's knife, 8" Chef's knife, 7" Santoku, 6" utility knife, serrated bread knife, and a paring knife. They're very high quality for the price. They're extremely light and easy to work with. The blade angle is narrower, more like a Japanese knife. They hold their edge quite well, and are easy to sharpen.

I recommend them to anyone who is looking for a budget-friendly knife. These are a great value.

Honestly, at the price of that Victorinox knife that you linked, we might just roll with that to start with. If its terrible, I'm only out 30 bucks. She posted a similar thread on one of her hobby forums and the folks there have also suggested that particular one, along with Wusthof Ikon. We do a lot of joint prep work, so two nice knives are needed. I'm sort of falling in love with one of the 7in santoku knives and will purchase one of those babies for myself. I'm terrible at sharpening, but I'm going to do my best to get adequate at it and resharpen up the steak knives we already have. So that leaves a paring knife, at a minimum.

Have you thought about the magnetic strip on the wall as a solution for not having them on the counter? I can't do that in my current house because there are no suitable areas to mount one, but down the road I'd consider it. I don't like the idea of knives being less accessible in a drawer--with the block I just grab & go. I think I'd do the same with the magnetic strip.

I also recommend practicing your sharpening on your current knives. Most cheap knives will actually take an edge just fine, it's that they're too soft and don't hold it long. This'll allow you to work on your sharpening technique without screwing up the bevel on a nice knife.

As said above, I am a huge fan of the Victorinox, but it seems like you're looking for "forever" knives... The Victorinox are not that. That said, if you need two knives, having one "nice" chef's knife and one Victorinox that you can beat on might make sense.

I also agree with individual knives instead of a set--most of the sets give you knives you don't need and will likely never use as "filler".

I do think one of the most overlooked knives is that mid-size "utility" knife. Something in the 5-6" range that you can use for more delicate tasks and smaller items that you might not pull out a big chef's knife for, but longer than a 3.5" paring knife. The Wusthof set had one of those and it ended up getting brought to an event and lost, and I missed it quite a bit--hence how I ended up with a 6" Victorinox utility knife as a mandatory purchase.

No. Never. Not ok.

Most of the knives at CKTG are sharpened at 12 deg with one side bevel being specialty knives only. You can get some really great knives in your price range and smile every time you cook.

There are a lot of CKTG knives with even double-side grinds. This is something I look for as I'm left-handed.

Sure which I could find a left-handed serrated bread knife though.

Have you thought about the magnetic strip on the wall as a solution for not having them on the counter?
Considered it for about 5 seconds, then I remembered we have cats.

I also recommend practicing your sharpening on your current knives. Most cheap knives will actually take an edge just fine, it's that they're too soft and don't hold it long. This'll allow you to work on your sharpening technique without screwing up the bevel on a nice knife.
Agreed, I need to get better at sharpening. I planned on giving all of our current ones that aren't a complete wreck a sharpening to get a better hang on it. We are keeping our current steak knives, so I'll have plenty of chances there to practice.

I do think one of the most overlooked knives is that mid-size "utility" knife. Something in the 5-6" range that you can use for more delicate tasks and smaller items that you might not pull out a big chef's knife for, but longer than a 3.5" paring knife. The Wusthof set had one of those and it ended up getting brought to an event and lost, and I missed it quite a bit--hence how I ended up with a 6" Victorinox utility knife as a mandatory purchase.
Last night while we were kicking around online, my wife specifically mentioned wanting a 6" utility knife as well. So that's already been added to the growing list.

Also, thanks for the informative post!

I'm having a bit of an inner conflict on a santoku. I was siding with getting a 7in, but at some point yesterday I remembered that the one that I had used for years until moving into my wife's house was in no-way 7in. Had to be 5-5.5". So trying to decide which size is going to be more comfortable.

Considered it for about 5 seconds, then I remembered we have cats.

Agreed, I need to get better at sharpening. I planned on giving all of our current ones that aren't a complete wreck a sharpening to get a better hang on it. We are keeping our current steak knives, so I'll have plenty of chances there to practice.

Haha, yeah magnetic strips and cats just would not have a happy ending. Even with our Sphynx cats I ain't going there.

I picked up some Shapton splash and go stones with my new knives and have relearned the art of sharpening. I started with some old beater knives before moving to my new steel. I'm now sharpening knives for family and coworkers.

I also have a set of Shun Knives love them.

I also use a 6" Alaskan ULU Knife almost exclusively for anything other than slicing or deboning meat.

I just sharpened our knives today after reading this post. They were overdue.

Stones, or what?

Haha, yeah magnetic strips and cats just would not have a happy ending. Even with our Sphynx cats I ain't going there.

I don't like clutter (incl knives) on the counter. I use the following, which holes the knives safely inside a drawer. The only caveat is to make sure they are dry before inserting into the cork sheaths, or rust.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JR2D6SP/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_0GO6EbMN11K7V

Stones, or what?

Yes. I have a combo 250/1000 stone, and a 6000 finishing stone.

I almost never use the 250, BTW. It's only necessary when an edge has been pretty badly messed up. If you need to fix a nick in the edge, or need to reprofile the edge, you use the 250. The only time I've used it in years was this last time, because the 6" utility knife takes a fair bit of abuse and using the 1000 and 6000 didn't get it where I wanted it, so I started over with the 250.

So typically I'll use the 1000 to ensure the edge is sharp, and then finish with the 6000 to get it perfect.

I've got several sharpeners here for my knives, including wet stones. The following one is the best, especially if you don't want to take too much effort at it. This one will get them sharp enough to shave your arm, which is my test.

[edit] I bought it exactly one year ago for $142. Now $179.

https://a.co/d/4ZHqiH2

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been very happy with Global. Comfortable grip and kinda cool looking. Anthony Corbain sort of recommended them, but also said that any good quality knife will work well if you treat it right, IIRC. The Santoku is my go to for most tasks.
1685286638270.png

A neighbor friend's kid was selling Cutco, and we've been super happy with their serrated steak knives and bread knife.
1685286832487.png

1685286899627.png

Back