Quality corona/hand-crank mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripleC223

Reaction score
Since I don't have $200 to spend on a grain mill, I've been looking around at hand-crank mills. I believe they're called Corona or Victoria mills and are typically used for grinding grain into flour.

I've seen several videos of people using them for brewer's grains, but I'm having trouble finding a model that seems like decent quality. Does anybody have recommendations? Most of the negative reviews I have seen complain of metal shavings grinding into the grain (!?), lack of durability or just general shoddiness.

Something like this is what I'm referring to:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000T3ML4G/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using a Victoria mill for years. They are intended more for grinding corn into cornmeal than for making flour, I think. I know they are in daily use all over the world, providing meals for families.

I think most of the problems people report are due to unrealistic expectations. The things are designed loose and sloppy, so that they work in spite of poor qualty control and rough machining. The rotating plates flop around loose for a reason, if you try to make them run straight and true, it will work worse, not better. I adjusted mine when I first got it, and have never had to touch it since.

I find I get better results if I temper the malt with a water spray before grinding. I spray them with about 1oz of water per 3lbs grain and let it set for 20 - 30 minutes before milling. It seems to toughen the husks so they aren't shredded as much.

Someday I'll buy or build a roller mill, but for now my Victoria gets the job done.

I dont know where your from but you can get a very decent mill thats leaps and bounds better than a corona flour mill for $100 shipped in the states all the time.... The cereal killer,aka kegco 2 roller aka kegking 2 roller mill which are all the same mill with different base options works great. Its got real ball bearings which even other more expensive mills lack until you get into their pro series and the rollers hold up great.. been using one for 4 years now and never even had to clean it with probably 40 sacks of grain through it by now.

BTW I stated with a corona mill so I know how much of a difference a grain crusher is from a flour grinder.

I've been using a Victoria mill for years. They are intended more for grinding corn into cornmeal than for making flour, I think. I know they are in daily use all over the world, providing meals for families.

I think most of the problems people report are due to unrealistic expectations. The things are designed loose and sloppy, so that they work in spite of poor qualty control and rough machining. The rotating plates flop around loose for a reason, if you try to make them run straight and true, it will work worse, not better.
DITTO!

Somewhere over the decades, I acquired a second Corona mill. I also have a commercial coffee grinder, that uses the same concept of a stationary plate and a rotating plate. I just wish I could slow the damn thing down.
A year, or so ago, I finally bought a two roller grain mill. Definitely worth the $100 I spent on it. My last brew I hit over 85% efficiency.

IMO, if you are looking for a real quality Corona Style mill you are barking up the wrong tree. Quality and Corona style are not two things that go together. I have one that was a gift and more than likely $25 or less. It is not the best but has created some truly great beers. I estimate that I have put 1300 to 1400 pounds of grain through mine.

I want a roller mill but I am getting good results from my generic "Corn Mill", so I cannot see myself changing in the near future. When I go I am going to go big and get a Monster Mill. I don't know which model yet.

I want a roller mill but I am getting good results from my generic "Corn Mill", so I cannot see myself changing in the near future. When I go I am going to go big and get a Monster Mill. I don't know which model yet.
This statement confuses me.. If the cheap flour mill works so well why go from one extreme to another and jump to such a pricey mill for nothing? even the cheapest MM is going to be around $250 with a handle and base which are sold separately? and you dont even get real bearings like the CK with that unless you buy the upgrade on the pro series line..

Feature wise and performance for the price range you cant beat the 2 roller mill with real bearings and a base and handle that can be belt driven with a motor for $100... even if you spend $200 on another mill.

Last edited:
This statement confuses me.. If the cheap flour mill works so well why go from one extreme to another and jump to such a pricey mill for nothing? even the cheapest MM is going to be around $250 with a handle and base which are sold separately? and you dont even get real bearings like the CK with that unless you buy the upgrade on the pro series line..

My reason for skipping over the Cereal Killer is that it is relatively new so there is not a long term record of it's reliability. Monster Mills have one of the best reputations including customer service if something goes wrong or wears out.

My Corona Style mill works well enough that I might never upgrade. I would like more adjust-ability though.

My reason for skipping over the Cereal Killer is that it is relatively new so there is not a long term record of it's reliability. Monster Mills have one of the best reputations including customer service if something goes wrong or wears out.

My Corona Style mill works well enough that I might never upgrade. I would like more adjust-ability though.
The Cereal killer is at least 5 years old (I bought mine just over 4 years ago there is as much if not more positive feedback on it in the grain mill threads here as the MM's.

The CK is from the same manufacturer as the keg king mills as well as the kegco mills from the beverage factory... williams brewing has been selling these for a long time too if you want reviews.
The only difference between all the brands is the packaging , base options and in some cases the handle (as well as price).

EDIT the maltmunchier "pro" 2 roller and kegco mills are the same mm2 and mm3 clones but with bearings , the CK /standard maltmunchier and kegco 2 roller is a slightly older version cloned off the barley crusher (but with bearings) but appears to be from the same manufacturer..

Last edited:
While I'm pretty satisfied with my MM, if I were to do it over again, I'd consider the Cereal Killer. Unlike my MM, which uses cheap sleeve bearings, the CK uses ball bearings. Something that's important to me as I power it with a motor and pulley and side-loading could eventually be an issue. The Cereal Killer is less expensive, too.

While I'm pretty satisfied with my MM, if I were to do it over again, I'd consider the Cereal Killer. Unlike my MM, which uses cheap sleeve bearings, the CK uses ball bearings. Something that's important to me as I power it with a motor and pulley and side-loading could eventually be an issue. The Cereal Killer is less expensive, too.
Yes exactly, I do the same with a pulley drive for 4 years now. These reasons are why I cant believe more folks dont use them as well as the kegco 3 roller which is from the same manufacturer. Real Bearing are always an upgrade to the more economical sacrificial soft bronze bushings designed to take the wear. especially when you have all the reports of the old barley crushers which had to constantly be taken apart and cleaned and have the bushings oiled to work correctly....

Yes exactly, I do the same with a pulley drive for 4 years now. These reasons are why I cant believe more folks dont use them as well as the kegco 3 roller which is from the same manufacturer. Real Bearing are always an upgrade to the more economical sacrificial soft bronze bushings designed to take the wear. especially when you have all the reports of the old barley crushers which had to constantly be taken apart and cleaned and have the bushings oiled to work correctly....

Sleeve bearings are a corner-cutting design to reduce costs and maximize margins. They are ubiquitous in Chinese-made power tools and cheap electric motors. But one would think MM could at least offer ball or roller bearings as an upgrade option when ordering. I believe MM's high-end mills use roller bearings, however, but going that route more than doubles the price.

I'll just keep an eye on my mill and if I start to see some lateral play in those bearings, then I'll look for something better-designed for longevity.

The Cereal killer is at least 5 years old (I bought mine just over 4 years ago there is as much if not more positive feedback on it in the grain mill threads here as the MM's.

The CK is from the same manufacturer as the keg king mills as well as the kegco mills from the beverage factory... williams brewing has been selling these for a long time too if you want reviews.
The only difference between all the brands is the packaging , base options and in some cases the handle (as well as price).

OK, but I don't consider 4-5 years long. How much of the positive feedback is price motivated rather than durability. Monster mills have been around for much longer. They have been proven to be durable.

That said, the cereal killer is next on my list. And very likely what I would end up with based on price and reputation.

OK, but I don't consider 4-5 years long. How much of the positive feedback is price motivated rather than durability. Monster mills have been around for much longer. They have been proven to be durable.

That said, the cereal killer is next on my list. And very likely what I would end up with based on price and reputation.
To be fair I said at least 5 years possibly longer.. and thats longer than most of the popular home brewing products talked about on this site.. like the grainfather and all the spinoffs of it, the pico, unibrau, colarado brewing systems, the spike welded kettles, conicals, blichmanns latest american made kettles, quick carb, tc based elements, the ss brewing temp control conical system, blichmanns breweasy all the unitanks... well you get the picture... as far as homebrewing equipment goes its been around long enough to prove itself one way of the other. If you google "grain mill problem" or issues you will find about 90% is related to the barley crusher and its failure to spin freely due to dust impacted in the bushings and worn rollers and lots of comments about having to pull it apart and clean it even with its lifetime warranty its still a terrible value but due to marketing and being made in the usa it was hands down the most popular mill for a while....

You wont find many complaints if any on the cereal killer short of a few people who werent adjusting the cams correctly to set the gap.

We have a 3 roller monster mill and a kegco 3 roller mill for our nano... the MM sticks from time to time according to the owner (my business partner who also owns the barley crusher collecting dust because he is untrusting of lesser / cheaper brand names) and looking at them side by side I would swear the MM is the cheaper Mill. if I wanted a 3 roller mm with real bearings like the $150 kegco has I need to spend over $600 for the mm equivalent. Why?

Your right There is a bias that goes with each consumer though... You have the MM made in the states (like the barley crusher claims) and these mills which are chinese. that always comes up and even if it doesnt you can tell it influences peoples opinions some so much that facts like how its actually engineered and built dont even matter to some because all they see are the politics of economy and were its made. others are more concerned with branding and marketing and only buy "what they trust" which often means much higher prices to pay for no questions asked returns that some consumers often take advantage of while footing the bill back to other customers.
and that plays just as much influence on review and opinions as price does for others in a different situation.

If these mills were reviewed and side by side comparisions were done without anyone knowing origin and price I think hands down the opinions would be much more one sided about which mill would be the preferred choice.

Being someone who repairs and sells flatscreens as a hobby I find that if I sell the same tv for much more money I get a totally different type of consumer with different questions and priorities than if I advertise it for less... funny how that works. Ive had folks tell me they dont want that cheap vizio junk even though they have no problem with buying the same tv from either one of the same manufacturers with 95% or the same components like LG or sharp. Because they have no idea, They go by the stereotypes and pricing to enforce their beliefs. (And these companies totally use this to their advantage)

I guess that why a lot of the tvs I repair are really the same model tv with different branding and covers sold at drastically different prices.. marketed to different demographs of people ... heck most of my customers really think an "led tv" is some new improved different non lcd tv thats better than the older lcd tvs when the reality is the joke is on them. they are just way cheaper to make and much less reliable in most cases.

Last edited:
I have a Schmidling MaltMill. I highly recommend if you're looking for long-term durability (in my experience). I've sent a LOT of grain through it over the last 10 years, and I bought it used ($60) from a large homebrew shop which used the same mill for customer grinding. The thing just keeps chugging. (hopper is pretty crappy though, one day I'm going to make a better one :) )

I love my Victoria mill. Don't need anything else. Somebody posted an online link to a similar mill for about $20. Discount Tommy has them for about $25. More Beer and Lehman Hardware have them for around $50

Started with a hand rolling pin so when I bought my corona mill it was sloppy and super inconsistent making as much flour as it let uncrushed grain through but yeah I thought it was great.... had no idea... then again I thought my old 84 corvette was fast till I got a new Camry as a company car... Ignorance was bliss I guess.. Corvette was up for sale a few months later and I learned what everyone else already knew it seems as I could barely give it away..

Last edited:
Back