PVC/Vinyl Taste...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Pizzel

Reaction score
Third brew this year (not consecutive) that had a strong vinyl taste, similar to a freshly unpacked pool raft or something. The first two were dryhopped with stockings so I gave up on that, but the third never touched stockings.... The second I just pulled out of the cold crash and had some funky layers going on- every layer tasted like ass and is now in my lawn. If it is an infection somewhere, how do I go about resolving this? My boil goes straight from my kettle through a ball valve, tubing and straight into the carboy which I clean with a pond pump shooting Starsan and PBW up into it.... HELP?!?!?!?!?!?

Third brew this year (not consecutive) that had a strong vinyl taste, similar to a freshly unpacked pool raft or something. The first two were dryhopped with stockings so I gave up on that, but the third never touched stockings.... The second I just pulled out of the cold crash and had some funky layers going on- every layer tasted like ass and is now in my lawn. If it is an infection somewhere, how do I go about resolving this? My boil goes straight from my kettle through a ball valve, tubing and straight into the carboy which I clean with a pond pump shooting Starsan and PBW up into it.... HELP?!?!?!?!?!?

Vinyl/plastic taste is often from chlorine in the brewing water. Is that a possibility for you?

Thanks for the response Yooper (I think I might've or plan on doing one of your recipes btw so thanks x2!). I've been using my normal tap water which does have chlorine but with approx 20-25 batches under my belt (still young n learning), the vinyl taste has been really inconsistent so far. I believe chlorine levels vary, but are they driven off in the 60min boil? Also, it's the only thing I taste, so it's not an off flavor or anything, it's pure vinyl, like licking and smelling fresh plastic. Does this still fit the picture? Also, if so, what can I do to prevent this- boil prior to mash, charcoal filter, etc? Thanks again!

Do you use any plastic tube to transfer the Wort ?

If yes , are you sure that it's food-grade ?

I use food-grade vinyl tubes . However , I still smell a little of plastic odor in my Beer .

Hector

Thanks for the response Yooper (I think I might've or plan on doing one of your recipes btw so thanks x2!). I've been using my normal tap water which does have chlorine but with approx 20-25 batches under my belt (still young n learning), the vinyl taste has been really inconsistent so far. I believe chlorine levels vary, but are they driven off in the 60min boil? Also, it's the only thing I taste, so it's not an off flavor or anything, it's pure vinyl, like licking and smelling fresh plastic. Does this still fit the picture? Also, if so, what can I do to prevent this- boil prior to mash, charcoal filter, etc? Thanks again!

Is it possible that your water company uses chloramine at times?

"Fresh plastic" does sound like a chlorine issue. And yes, free chlorine does boil off- but you'd have to boil the water (or let it sit out overnight) before mashing, as the phenols from the grain combined with the chlorine from the water, making chlorophenols. Then it's too late to boil off.

One quick way to ensure that you won't have chlorophenols is to use 1/2 campden tablet (crushed and dissolved), stirred into 10 gallons of brewing water before mashing. That will get rid of both chloramines and chlorine, and make sure you don't have the issue in your water.

"Plastic" flavors can also come from an infection, like from an infected yeast starter as well. But if you can rule out the water completely (and you should treat for chlorine anyway) by treating the water prebrewing, then you'd be closer to nailing down the problem.

My first all-grain had a similar issue: a band-aid sort of smell/taste. The good news is that it prompted me to really review my processes, and I discovered three things:

1) I had the beginnings of nastiness in my aeration pump line. Cleaned that out and became uber-attentive to possible ickiness.
2) I was using my garden hose (in the summer time) and probably didn't run the water long enough to flush out that garden hose flavor we loved as kids. Started a habit of watering the lawn right before I brew, to flush the lines. Also bought an RV hose that's food grade.
3) Discovered the campden tablet trick that Yooper described. CHEAP insurance.

Not sure if it was one of the three things I changed, or if there was some invisible fourth thing, but I haven't had a repeat of the issue in my last half-dozen batches.

(The beer is still drinkable, as the band-aid flavor has mellowed out a lot over the past few months. It's my wife's favorite batch...)

Latest posts

Back