Putting medium toast oak cubes in kegorator - thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigkelker

Reaction score
The chocolate porter keg is empty! I plan to fill the empty with my Arrogant Bastard clone which has been setting in secondary for about 4 weeks.

My point: in the liquor store yesterday, I spied the Oak-aged AB. Given I have 1oz of american medium toast cubes, I am considering adding them to the carboy.

Is there any reason why I couldn't oak-age while serving it from the keg? I'm a low throughput drinker, so I expect this AB to be on tap for 2-3 months.

thoughts bouncing around my head:
-is the colder serving temp going to impact the oaking?
-will the oak flavors concentrate at the top, basically overloading the last 1-2 gallons?
-should I wait to add the cubes until force carbonation is done?
-Am I an idiot?

thanks for reading....

-If the colder temp impacts the oaking I would GUESS that it will slow it down, which could be a good thing
-There might be flavor stratification. I've wondered the same about dryhopping in kegs. I'll occasionally tilt my keg just to make sure there's a little action in there while the bulk of dryhopping is taking place.
-No, add prior to force carbonation. There's no reason I can think of why you should wait.
-No, you are not an idiot :D

Cubes take a little longer to impart their flavor so you might be getting the most oak flavor right at the end of the keg. Should work fine I guess.

Back