Putting a label/brewery name on a kit beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmarshall

Reaction score
Opinions? Fraudulent and misleading? Acceptable? Encouraged?

I am on my 3rd batch of beer, and I kind of wanted to make labels for this one, all 3 have been kits, and I have one more kit "On Deck" and then am planning to switch to AG and start formulating my own recipes...... Brewing the kits has just allowed me to get basic techniques, etc down pat before going to something more complex......Is it wrong to put my own "Stamp" on a recipe that someone else created and shared?

For your own consumption - do whatever you want. If you are going to share with other homebrewers etc, it's common courtesy to credit the recipe source in one way or another.

Some people chose names that play off the original. eg if you made a Bells 2 Hearted clone, you might have heart etc in your name. If the recipe was from another brewer, you could reference their screen name (or real name) or some play on what they called their version.

There are no real rules and nobody is going to sue you over it, but it's just polite to give a nod to the people who helped or inspired you.

No one ever brews the same away as someone else. We all have slightly different processes, abilities to control variables like mash and fermentation temps. As a result it really is your beer in the end. If some one asks, be honest you got it from a recipe. A good analogy would be cooking. You use a cook book but who gets the compliments? You do because you made it.

Latest posts

Back