pushed bung into primary.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akatrouble

Reaction score
Brewed a pumpkin spice ale on monday night(1063 og) accidently pushed the bung in too deep, but it was ok. Just now I checked it to see how well it was doing and noticed the foam had gotten into the airlock, I decided to change airlocks and in doing so pushed the bung into the brew. I quickly sanitized my secondary carboy and racked to that one. Took a reading of 1052 and it smells and tastes like its going to be great. So my question is should I repitch her some yeast? I left most of the trub in the primary. P.s. I threw that dam bung away.

Brewed a pumpkin spice ale on monday night(1063 og) accidently pushed the bung in too deep, but it was ok. Just now I checked it to see how well it was doing and noticed the foam had gotten into the airlock, I decided to change airlocks and in doing so pushed the bung into the brew. I quickly sanitized my secondary carboy and racked to that one. Took a reading of 1052 and it smells and tastes like its going to be great. So my question is should I repitch her some yeast? I left most of the trub in the primary. P.s. I threw that dam bung away.

Which yeast did you use? As long as it was mostly still suspended in solution when you racked you should be fine. I would not repitch yeast unless you're certain there's not enough in suspension to get the job done. For the most part all you left behind were early flocculators and trub (as you noted). You can also just put a new bung in and leave the other one, but I know that's not all that appealing to many brewers.

Edit: Oh yeah, and if you're getting Krausen in the airlock you should use a blowoff hose. Odds are the new airlock will suffer the same fate.

I hope I get Krausen in the airlock again, I have one of those orange carboy caps on now and a overflow tube ready for it. I thought of leaving the bung in, it soaked in 1step overnight before use, but was worried about the effect of the rubber.... oh well if the yeast is still doing its thing I should have a very clear ale of a type that is usually not. thank you jbay

I hope I get Krausen in the airlock again, I have one of those orange carboy caps on now and a overflow tube ready for it. I thought of leaving the bung in, it soaked in 1step overnight before use, but was worried about the effect of the rubber.... oh well if the yeast is still doing its thing I should have a very clear ale of a type that is usually not. thank you jbay

Glad to help man. GL!!! :mug:

Back