Pure Nitrogen Set Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eujamfh

Reaction score
So I am trying to figure out if I just made a mistake…

I purchased a N2 tank, regulator and stout faucet (from craigslist) for a decent price.

My plan was to carb my keg to 7psi and then serve with straight nitrogen set at say 30psi. I wanted to serve both stouts and dabble in other styles as well, particularly IPAs.

Now reading through threads…am I able to do what I want or was I wrong in my assumptions? Will my CO2 fall out of suspension leaving flat beer?

I have a standard kegerator with two faucets. My plan was to have two cornys with two taps - a stout and another style. Inside would be a CO2 bottle and a N2 bottle. I planned to carb the keg with 7psi CO2 for a week, then switch to N2 to serve. Every other week I would connect the Co2 to top off for a day or so and then back to the N2.

I was planning to use a diffusing stone at the end of a length of tubing connected to the "gas in" tube. Not sure this helps but it was recommended.

Is this realistic? Is that plan doable or am I looking at a near impossible balancing act that would result in creamy foam?

Beer gas seems hard to find and expensive…I would prefer to simply use the CO2 and N2 tanks I now have…and a mixer is way out of the budget!

Finally, if doable…how many cornys will a 20cuft n2 tank push?

Any thoughts on what you have done in this situation would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I'd look around more, 75/25 mix is extremely common. If you live in an area with restaurants and bars, the local gas supplier has it available.

I agree with bensiff. The beergas mix should be easy to find. I get mine at the local wlding supply place.

OK - so I found a company locally (not too far) that sells beergas (exchange tanks).

So that is super good news to me…I will try a couple welding shops too in order to find a back up source.

I have a 20 suft tank and they said they would swap me up to a 40 or 60cuft tank for $35/45 respectively. I will use the tank to push two corny kegs…am wondering if I should upgrade to the larger tank assuming it fits in the kegerator...

If a 40 will fit, get it over the 20. Should be cheaper per unit volume to refill, plus beer gas is simply compressed - not liquified like CO2 - so there isn't a hella lot of gas in a 20...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back