Purchasing Hops on line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surly

Reaction score
Hi

I am in need of purchasing hops by the pound. I usually use Hops Direct but shipping costs have really increased.

where do you shop? Thanks.

I also believe Yakima Valley Hops is best. They are also now selling them in resealable cans that are double nitrogen flushed

+3 for Yakima Vally Hops. Great people too. I order in bunches several times a year. The last order the actually called me because they felt they could save me money on shipping and get them to me faster with a different option.

Thanks for the swift replies. Just placed my order with Yakima and will consider Farmhouse as well.

YVH, Hops Direct, Farmhouse, Label Peelers, in that order, with occasional scores randomly elsewhere. Always T90 pellets by the pound.
If a strain is available from more than one when I need it I go through both/all sites' checkouts to figure out the cheapest net cost w/S&H. Often there's a significant net difference...

Cheers!

I also believe Yakima Valley Hops is best. They are also now selling them in resealable cans that are double nitrogen flushed

Is there a way to know what hops are packaged in cans? Maybe I missed it, but I didn't find a lot of information about their new can packaging.

just got a shipment from Yakima Valley Hops where the bags were not sealed. Upon opening the shipping bag it smelled of all hop goodness. and then squeezing the bags I found they were not airtight. I sealed them in mason jars. Shouldn't have to do that with a new shipment.

just got a shipment from Yakima Valley Hops where the bags were not sealed. Upon opening the shipping bag it smelled of all hop goodness. and then squeezing the bags I found they were not airtight. I sealed them in mason jars. Shouldn't have to do that with a new shipment.

I have found this to be a recurring problem with YVH. I never had it that bad that I could smell the hops in the shipping bag, but in almost every delivery there is one or two hop bags that have been pierced (it seems the hop bags they use are quite fragile) and the vacuum is broken. Customer service will just tell you the bags were sealed when they shipped then.

This problem is the reason I'm interested in their new can packaging.

I've been using Farmhouse for several years and always been satisfied with price and quality of the hops. Their packaging is not as pretty as other suppliers but the hops are great and I've never smelled hops upon opening the shipping carton.

I’ve probably have order 100lbs of hops from them over the years I. Varies quantities and never have experienced an improper seal. They are typically so well sealed that I practically have to cut all the way down to the ziplock potion of the bag just to open them.
I've been using Farmhouse for several years and always been satisfied with price and quality of the hops. Their packaging is not as pretty as other suppliers but the hops are great and I've never smelled hops upon opening the shipping carton.
I like Farmhouse too but I just wish they would use Mylar bags that can be resealed.

Last edited:
I use YVH as well. Rarely have I had a package that lost its seal when it arrived. Lets just hope that happened during shipping. which really isn't the biggest deal.

Hopefully their 2020 crop will be canned. All of the 2019 was bagged

"Varies quantities and never have experienced an improper seal."
Your experience does not mitigate mine. I'm just letting you know my recent experience.
L

"Varies quantities and never have experienced an improper seal."
Your experience does not mitigate mine. I'm just letting you know my recent experience.
L
You are correct, It does not mitigate your experience but I’m stating my experience to the op so that he understands that what you experienced is an extremely rare occurrence.

I'm a YVH fan boi, buy crazy numbers of pounds over each year (thank you, neipa rage :drunk:) and love their current packaging. Haven't had one arrive that wasn't totally sucked tight. And once I figured out not to cut the heat sealed edge so close to the zip lock I don't drive myself batpoopy trying to reopen the bags.

I have a pound of 2019 Galaxy on its way, didn't find that at any of my other regular suppliers...

Cheers!

I just got 4 pounds shipped me from yvh 2 were still sealed one had lost its seal but no hop aroma was detectable and the last one had 2 holes punched in the side and the whole package smelled like a centennial hop bomb went off in there. Had to reseal 2 pounds with my food saver.

I buy mostly from YVH and occasionally from Farmhouse.
I wish Farmhouse put the hop year on their tag like YVH does.

Latest posts

Back