Punk Rock and Hardcore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I posted this on here a while back already, but I had the realization maybe 6 months ago when I gave a CD of old school hardcore to my teenage nephew (who was all into the screamo crap at the time) that I'd been listening to AF about as long as he'd been alive.

Edit: Now that I think about it, this was more like a year or two ago. Now I feel even older.

Man, I work at a post secondary school and we get some pretty young students coming through sometimes. I've literally told a few of them "you were in diapers when I saw The Ramones live". That makes me feel old. :D

In my younger years I usually looked up to the old punks and someday wanted to be one. That day has come...

I think I posted this on here a while back already, but I had the realization maybe 6 months ago when I gave a CD of old school hardcore to my teenage nephew (who was all into the screamo crap at the time) that I'd been listening to AF about as long as he'd been alive.

Edit: Now that I think about it, this was more like a year or two ago. Now I feel even older.

where I once had a brilliant blue mohawk, I now have a very thin patch on top. and now that I haven't shaved my head in a week, I noticed white (not grey) hair on the sides where I still have hair. damn it.

where I once had a brilliant blue mohawk, I now have a very thin patch on top. and now that I haven't shaved my head in a week, I noticed white (not grey) hair on the sides where I still have hair. damn it.

You are still the most punk looking mo fo I have seen on this forum man.

I've still got a full head of hair (albeit cropped), and if my understanding of genetics is right it'll likely stay that way (although if I'm wrong it's all going away). However, my wife gives me a ton of crap because my chops are already going grey.

You are still the most punk looking mo fo I have seen on this forum man.
throat tattoos & missing teeth will do it every time.:rockin:

I've still got a full head of hair (albeit cropped), and if my understanding of genetics is right it'll likely stay that way (although if I'm wrong it's all going away). However, my wife gives me a ton of crap because my chops are already going grey.
what ain't fair is I'm balding but can't grow any facial hair worth half a flocc. :cross:

Wow a hardcore and punk thread on a homebrewing site? Who could ask for more? I like, and still listen to on a regular basis The Exploited, Cro-Mags, Circle Jerks, Charged GBH, the Descendents. All great stuff. Haven't read through the entire thread yet but I will.

Speaking of Hardcore legends, I just saw D.I. Open for DOA on their farewell show in SoCal. Damn that was a great time. By the time I left the pit, my elbows were bruised, and the sweat was rolling down my boots!

I remember being 14 and tryin to decide wether to buy Napalm Death 'harmony corruption' or Misfits self-titled. So I asked the metal head standing close to me in the store. He said I couldn't go wrong with either. So I got the misfits tape that day. And wore it out on my boom box. Got napalm death a couple weeks later. Wow. Hard to believe that's been well over 20 years ago!!

Interestingly.... Years later my band played several shows with that other guys' band. We covered a napalm death song. Some time after that I got to meet the guys from N.D.

I remember being 14 and tryin to decide wether to buy Napalm Death 'harmony corruption' or Misfits self-titled. So I asked the metal head standing close to me in the store. He said I couldn't go wrong with either. So I got the misfits tape that day. And wore it out on my boom box. Got napalm death a couple weeks later. Wow. Hard to believe that's been well over 20 years ago!!

Interestingly.... Years later my band played several shows with that other guys' band. We covered a napalm death song. Some time after that I got to meet the guys from N.D.

I was just playing the Napalm Death "Scum" album today at work. :rockin: cranked it up and scared (and maybe scarred) the other welders. hahahaha!

I can't remember what was first, either Attitude by the Misfits or Look Before You Leap by The Suicide Machines in the Disney? or Nickelodeon movie Brink. I remember hearing Attitude in the background of a skate video when I was really young and loving it and it took me a few months to figure out who it was. Ended with a lyric search at the library at school.

Btw I'm only 26 so I was 12 when that movie came out and it was very cool to me, still has a lot of nostaligic value. I was big into a lot of mid 90's california punk, still am. Bad Religion, NOFX, Pennywise, Rancid, Op Ivy ect...and was always a huge fan of the Misfits, got them as my first tattoo on my leg. Also into a lot of punk and hardcore like The Exploited, The Unseen, Cro-Mags, 7 Seconds, that band that sang John Wayne Was a Nazi...MDC Millions of Dead Cops. That song was one of my favorites of all time.

It's great to see a punk and hardcore thread on this site. Great to see beer brewers who grew up with the same taste in music.

Haha. Right on. Manic is playing here soon. I think at the punk rock picnic. Not sure though. I just know I saw the flyer. I remember the first time I heard them play mummy's little cholo.

as I have mentioned before, I've known Goatboy from Full Throttle for a very long time. years ago he drove a bunch of us from Rapid City to Pierre, SD for some show or another. most of us were well hammered by the time we got there and convinced all the Pierre kids that Goatboy was Mike from Suicidal Tendencies. who has 2 thumbs & didn't throw up on the way home?

thisguy.jpg

Billy-Klubb said:
as I have mentioned before, I've known Goatboy from Full Throttle for a very long time. years ago he drove a bunch of us from Rapid City to Pierre, SD for some show or another. most of us were well hammered by the time we got there and convinced all the Pierre kids that Goatboy was Mike from Suicidal Tendencies. who has 2 thumbs & didn't throw up on the way home?

Classic.

I know this isn't in related to the recent posts, I'm new to posting here but Warzone was one of the first NYHC bands I got into.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday I was watching a video by The Vandals. A related video off to the side looked interesting so I clicked it. It was the first part of 10 youtube videos of a 1987 movie called "Dudes". Flea is in this movie as is Lee Ving. The lead character in this movie is Jon Cryer (had to look up his actual name so as not to call him the dad from 2 1/2 men) who plays a punk rocker. Flea is a punk too and he gets killed in the beginning by some rednecks. His two friends then go on a hunt for the rednecks who killed him. If you like watching bad movies look it up. You won't regret it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think nofx got me Into punk and when I saw guttermouth for the first time on the small stage out side of hfstival is what got me hooked for life

Back