Pumpkin ale and lactose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildeagles87

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have already brewed my pumpkin ale and it has been in primary for a week. I want to give it a creaminess that I have read comes from lactose. How much should I add to a 5 gal batch. Also is there anything that I could add to possibly improve the head retention of this brew. I am also planning on adding a 1oz of homemade vanilla extract in the secondary (2 beans cut and split in 1/4 cup vodka) Any help is appreciated.

Hi!

Lactose will also sweeten your beer, maltodextrin would be better.

For your vanilla extract, add it in small portions until you get the flavor you want. I added vanilla in mine, one bean at flame out, with the other spices (cinnamon, allspices, ginger, nutmeg and clove) and it came out just fine.

Hum... damn I'm drunk.

The sweetness from the lactose might also be desirable. I found mine to be a little hollow until I added lactose. I added 5 oz but it is up to you. Maybe as much as 8 oz would be okay depending on how much sweetness you want.

Lactose does aid in head retention as well.

Latest posts

Back