pump air in wort with racking cane before pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dudest

Reaction score
Is it enough to cover the top of the cane with your thumb and pump air into the wort before pitching?

I'm not sure of exactly how you are going to pump air into your wort by putting your thumb over the end of your racking cane. Can you be more specific as to your proposed method?
Presuming you intend to oxygenate your wort.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you lubricate the seal in the cane with a little star San raise the 'piston all the way to the top of the cane ' stick the cane in the bottom of the wort with your thumb over the end of the I inner piece of the cane and push down obviously air comes out the bottom of the the cane and bubbles come up from the bottom of the wort is this enough to oxygenate?

Sorry, I get really anal between the differences of aerating and oxygenating. You are describing the former, which is introducing air (20% oxygen) into your wort as opposed to oxygenating (introducing pure oxygen)

The method you are describing is way more hassle than its worth unless you would like to be pumping for 30+ minutes. Honestly you are better suited with your time just shaking the carboy/bucket or even better invest in an air pump or oxygen system.

Yes, it's worth it. Happy, healthy yeast are worth it, if you like making great beer as opposed to just good.

Disposable oxygen tanks are about $10 at a hardware store. And oxygenation systems from Northern Brewer or Williams Brewing, etc, is about $50.

I know what you are saying how much is an o2 tank and is it worth it?

an o2 tank with the valve cap and a wand and a stainless steel aerating stone will run you around $50-$60.

Or you can spend $10 and build a drill powered stir bit with a rod and some other pieces and get the same results. I used to do pure O2 and it cost more money in the long run then its worth, plus you run into the problem of that little stone getting clogged all the time from your wort. I have also split batches and aerated one and oxygenated one, same process to the lips other then that. There were no differences in fermentation start times, fermentation length, taste or overall final product. Maybe if i had a microscope i could see a difference :D

Before the O2 band-wagen jumps on me, do your own experiment.

So now i just give it a few jolts with my sanatized homeade drill stir bit and call it good. If you get an inch or two of foam ontop you know its working. Just search "drill aerator".

:mug:
Chris

Sounds like you'd be putting a hose on an autosiphon and pushing the plunger to force air through the hose into the wort.

I think you'd be pumping it forever just to get an equal amount of O2 that you would get with shaking a carboy. Coarse bubbles don't transfer a lot of air. You'd be better off with the stir rod. I bought one for about $20.

I run my drill 5 - 10 minutes.

Latest posts

Back