pseudo lager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pseudo lager yeast of choice

• cali lager

• german ale

• notty

• screw it, lager yeast or go home

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've found that nottingham at 59-60 degrees is very clean and almost lager like. California lager yeast is not- it's definitely got some fruitiness to it if fermented above lager temps.

I've found that nottingham at 59-60 degrees is very clean and almost lager like. California lager yeast is not- it's definitely got some fruitiness to it if fermented above lager temps.

i haven't used notty in a while... i did get some lovely cream ales a couple years ago though with it fermenting in the low 60's. i would like to run a side by side against wyeast 1007 @ 60 and see what happens. 1007 is certainly malty, but hates settling out.

I didn't vote, as I've only tried "pseudo-lagering" twice, but when I used WLP 029 (Kolsch yeast), it turned out quite nicely. I would definitely think it a better choice than Nottingham.

/my only somewhat informed two cents.

While I wouldn't use it for a "lager", Notty is ridiculously clean. I used it for an Irish Red recently and personally think it is TOO clean. I know that Red's can be made as lagers, but I wanted some character to this one.

I bet someone could fool me with a "lager" using Notty.

Not that I want to change the topic of the thread, but I've gotten quite a bit of fruitiness from Nottingham. I made an Ofest Ale with Notty and fermented at 62 and got definite fruit tones in it. In another brown ale, I fermented at 68 and got more harsh fruitness and a fusel alcohol taste. I do oxygenate with O2 injection and rehydrate and also leave in the primary 4 weeks versus doing secondary fermentation... Perhaps this is making it more fruity? Any best practices out there with Nottingham?

1338 euro ale fermented in the low 60s always does a nice job. Clears up like a lager and with more malty recipes it is almost like pilsner but a little less crisp finish.

Not that I want to change the topic of the thread, but I've gotten quite a bit of fruitiness from Nottingham. I made an Ofest Ale with Notty and fermented at 62 and got definite fruit tones in it. In another brown ale, I fermented at 68 and got more harsh fruitness and a fusel alcohol taste. I do oxygenate with O2 injection and rehydrate and also leave in the primary 4 weeks versus doing secondary fermentation... Perhaps this is making it more fruity? Any best practices out there with Nottingham?

are those your ambient temps, or actual beer temps? if ambient, the beer is actually fermenting +3-5 degrees.. which would get a little fruity @ 65 and pushing it @ 72. also if you are pitching new yeast, you dont need to oxygenate- only if you are re using some slurry.

That is actual wort temp. I have the Johnson controls thermocouple attached to the side of my glass carboy. Sounds like I need to shoot for around 60 or 58. To get the cleanest taste. The Ofest ale I fermented at 62 has significantly less fruitiness (put my paranoid palate thinks it can still taste some) to it then the ales I made at 68. So I just may dial it down another couple degrees.

To brew a lager beer you need a lager yeast. You can brew a good lager using a lager yeast in basement temps, BTW (~66F).
I disagree about Nottingham fermented in cooler temperatures tastes like a lager. I tried that and all I got was a typical English ale yeast.

I did one with the German Ale yeast but it took a good while to clear. I had to cold crash it and use gelatin. The taste was pretty good though in the end. The problem with the Cali is the fruity esters. Great for a common, but it could throw off your preceptions of something like a Pils if thats what you're going for.

german ale does take some time to clear that is for sure. i think it would be a good comparison brew to run against notty... split a batch fermented @ 60. try it with a bock or amber beer.

Latest posts

Back