PSA: Hach PocketPro+ Do not use storage solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renthispace

Reaction score
Had my PocketPro+ for a year at the time my sensor went out. Hach is replacing the unit (took a bit of back and forth for them to agree) as I only used the thing about 15 times. Of course it was out of warranty but it was barely used. When I told them how I used it, they concluded that the storage solution must have made it fail early.

The manual does not talk about storage solution and I know its common practice to store probes in storage solution. I figured this information was omitted from the documentation and it was best to keep it stored in a storage solution. The technician informed me that their probe is different from other pH sensors and that it must be kept moist but not in contact with any solution.

Moist was defined as keeping a drop or two of water in the sample cup after rinsing/drying the probe. This will keep the humidity high around the probe. That is all that is needed. And like other probes, keeping the sensor in DI or distilled water will shorten its life (leaches out electrolytes from the sensor).

Figured I would let other owners of this probe know to not make the same mistake!

Dang. Such sensitive little expensive beasts just to perform a simple measurement. Thanks for the info - I'm looking into buying a "real" expensive pH meter and definitely won't go Hach seeing as how I don't own a humidor...

Dang. Such sensitive little expensive beasts just to perform a simple measurement. Thanks for the info - I'm looking into buying a "real" expensive pH meter and definitely won't go Hach seeing as how I don't own a humidor...

I do own a humidor, but not a Hach meter, though I still question the instructions given... cause yeah... without a humidor, hygrometer, and humidity beads or a humidification system to hold the probe at a specific range of humidity the probe will get damaged per their words. And one or two drops of water in a cap cannot in any way ensure a well humidified probe over time as that small amount of moisture can easily evaporate.

Just sounds weird. But, all that aside, yes pH meters can be a pain. Not only do you need to store them properly to ensure the life of the electrode but you should two step calibrate them before *each* use and cleanse them with the proper solution after each use. Plus, it's also best practice to cool your sample to room temp before taking a measurement. I loathe taking mine out sometimes lol.

Rev.

Moist was defined as keeping a drop or two of water in the sample cup after rinsing/drying the probe. This will keep the humidity high around the probe. That is all that is needed. And like other probes, keeping the sensor in DI or distilled water will shorten its life (leaches out electrolytes from the sensor).

By this, do you mean not to immerse the sensor in distilled water? Or not to use distilled for the "drop or two" in the cup?

I used mine for the first time yesterday, and when I was finished with the brewday I rinsed the sensor with distilled water and, without wiping or shaking off the excess, put the cap on and stored it upright -- the sensor is not touching the distilled water in the bottom of the cap. Is this OK?

Don't these probes come with a cap with a fill line? Since reading this and commenting I've become very interested in this meter since my Milwaukee has been nothing but a pain. I'm very interested in the fact that it doesn't need be be stored in a storage solution. Been storing my Milwaukee in storage solution and the probe still goes bad after only a few months usage. After seeing AJ Delange recommend it that really peaked my interest. I recall seeing a fill line on the cap when looking up the meter.

Edit:here's a pic, is that line for the storage or sample?:

asset-get.product.image.jsa

Rev.

AJ can you confirm that the pocket pro+ comes with a cap? I too would like to order one and would like to include everything on the first invoice.

Back