Protein powder jars as fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfej50

Reaction score
Our family uses protein powder and purchases the large (5lb) jars. I was wondering if anyone has adapted these jars as small-batch fermenters (1 gal or so). The wide mouth looks ideal for pouring in (cooled) wort as well as inserting utensils for sanatizing and using a hand mixer for aeration. Drill a hole for a stopper and airlock and it would seem to be ideal. Any thoughts?

I don't think there'd be a safety concern, given that they hold food already, so you might as well give it a shot, and report back on how well it seals.

Thanks for the replies and I will definately report back (may take awhile until we consume the protein powder first). I assume I can post pictures?
I'm thinking small batch may be the way to go for me. It seems the fun of home brewing is the brewing. The drinking is good too, but I can buy store bought craft brew to drink for a lot less then the equipment costs. I would think I'd be waiting a long time between batches if I brewed 'standard' batches to consume (or give away) the resulting product. And who wants to pour good beer down the drain?

I started my first batch with the converted protein powder jug. After several washings, I still couldn't get rid of a slight left over oder from the powder. We'll see if it changes the taste. Filled to the brim, the jug is just shy of 2 gals. Used a marker pen to mark various volumes on the outside. That helped in topping off the wort to the desired volume. I scaled an English Brown Ale recipe to 1.5 gal to allow for krausen. The next day showed good bubbling through the air lock. Will check on the taste in about 4 weeks.

Back