Propane Burner Delima

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Medic218

Reaction score
I'm still starting out and recently decided that I need to be cooking outside so I can do the larger beginning boils.

I did some searching but couldn't find a definitive answer, hence why I'm here now.

The first two are available locally.
The third, I would have to order. No Biggie.

I was just wondering what you're experience were with them. I know the Bayoru Classic brand comes well recommended. I was mostly curious about the one from Academy, the Outdoor Gourmet Pro DLX Propane Jet Cooker.

If you absolutely wouldn't have the Academy one, which would you choose fromt he two Bayou Classic models listed?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/out...3?color=Black&N=578846088&Ntt=propane&Ntk=All

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000291GBQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 (about 10.00 more for the local one)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used all three burner types, although not in those brands. The academy uses a single jet and a diffuser plate, it will be super noisy, inefficient in its heating and difficult to control the flame. The SP10 is decent, the burner is a ring of jets with no diffuser, the wind screen is a plus, and is more controllable than the single jet. For a pic of the burner itself, check this. I would go with the last one, the "banjo" type burner, they usually have better flame control, especially at the lower end. I brew on one like this (three, actually) but mine are the bigger ones, like this, which I like because it heats across the whole bottom of the pot (although honestly I don't know if it matters, I bought the larger burners when I built my brew stand). Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
I too use the larger version of the banjo that Black Island mentioned. I haven't used the smaller banjo, but have used the SP10 style and didn't like it. As mentioned it is a fairly small flame right in the middle of your pot. Also, I live at high altitude and the air adjustment on it was crap, it pretty much coated everything in soot every time I needed to use it. Not so much fun. The big banjo has a pretty good air control helping to adjust flame much better.

I have the third burner. I am very happy with it. It is powerful enough to get a rolling boil in a keg for 10 gallon batches. It also isn't affected by the wind as much as the bigger banjo burner I have and it was half the cost. It sips propane too compared to the bigger burner. I would recommend it.

For what its worth, Home Depot also sells the SQ14 for 49.97. If you need 2, there's also a 10 off 100 coupon floating around right now, just need a couple pennies in filler items.

Also, I have 2 of these, and highly recommend them. Very sturdy, plenty of flame for big boils. It's easy to fashion your own windscreen if you need it (I needed it).

Back