Propagting/slurry for large batch question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tall_Yotie

Reaction score
Howdy all!

So I am brewing a 20 gallon batch of a high gravity (1.096) ale. I have only done 5 gallons before.

I am planning on brewing a 5 gallon batch of a 1.060 ale with a 1.6L stirplate starter, and then using the slurry from that beer as the yeast for the larger batch beer. Does that seem like it would work? Should I expect to get enough yeast?

And yes, I am familiar with Mr. Malty, it tells me how much I need but I don't know if that is how much I will get.

Thanks for any thoughts/feedback!

If you go to Yeast calk it has a 3 or 4 step set up so you put in your 1.6 starter and that tells you how many you have and then step it up to 5 gal without a stirplate and it will tell you how many you have, it's cool, i did it for a big mead which I use Belgian yeast for.

Yes, that sounds fine. You can estimate your cell count as 1.5 billion cells per ml of settled slurry.

Thanks all for the notes! YeastCalc shows that I may be a bit short but not by much.

WoodlandBrew; when you say "settled slurry", is that after it has been chilled and separated, or just from when the beer has been racked off of it in the carboy?

WoodlandBrew; when you say "settled slurry", is that after it has been chilled and separated, or just from when the beer has been racked off of it in the carboy?
Either way. I find it easier to estimate volume once it has been poured from the fermenter into mason jars and then crashed in the fridge.

Roughly twice this much . . . .
(edit: it's a 64oz growler)

Pacman3.jpg

Back