Progress on First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rondacker

Reaction score
I just racked my first brew to the secondary.
It's an Irish Red Ale from Midwest.
I was a bit worried about fermentation, procedure, since it's my first.
I started at 1.043 and it was 1.012 when I tested last night.
I couldn't resist taking a sip, so I drank what was in my testing flask.
Tasted right, just flat..I'm getting excited..But I knew that would happen.:mug:

Congrats! However I notice a problem with your post. You seem to be indicating that you have an empty primary fermenter. Did I read that right? Why is it empty? Get to brewing man!

I just bottled the Irish Red. All went well. It finished at 1.010.
I only got 48 bottle, while the recipe stated I'd get 48-54.
I did leave a bit in the racking to secondary, and then to my bottling bucket.
Thanks all, for helping to give me confidence. :mug:

My brew has been conditioning in bottles for two weeks. I tried some last night.
It has a nice color and head;
IMG_2565sm.jpg

After a good taste, there was some lace on the glass;
IMG_2568sm.jpg

Carbonation was good, although it reminded me of Alka-Seltzer..Not a good point.;)
As for flavor, it is a bit sweet, compared to my comparison sample, Sam Adams Irish Red Ale. I think it could be a bit hoppier.
I'll try another test. I'm thinking that another week or so will only let it get better??

Next up, Northern Brewer's #1390 Cream Ale.

Looks good, nice head & some lacing. Flavors will be different if you drink it at about 50-55* instead of in a frosted mug. Congratulations on your first brew.

It does indeed look tasty! Congrats! I, too would drink it at about 55 F. I bet you will notice a lot more subtle flavors. :)

Back