Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kacey1973

Reaction score
I have two issues I could use some help with:

#1 - brewed a beer and had fruit puree in the secondary, due to the amount of fruit at the bottom the siphon did now want to work very well. I have another batch with fruit at the bottom and want to know if there is anything I can do to make the transfer to the bottling bucket go smoother and to have a working siphon.

#2 - brewed a chocolate milk stout....og was 1.049. Tested fg and it was way high - 1.024, supposed to be between 1.010 -1.015. How do I fix this or do I just bottle it at that fg.

Thanks for any help.

If you used lactose then it will have a higher final gravity due to the unfermatable sugars, I've heard to just subtract around 7 points

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hello,

#1- A siphon clip helps to keep the end up off the bottom and out of the fruit at the bottom.

#2- How long has the stout been in primary and or secondary, or how old is it since brewing date? and at what temp is it being kept at? and like salb29 said lactose will give you a higher reading.

Just real quick what I do with stouts, I leave them a bit longer on the yeast 14 to 21 days, first 5 to 7 days at ale fermenting temp, then 70 deg for the rest of the time in primary, this helps them finish out, I also secondary stouts (3+ months) at 70 deg and have found they seem to drop a few more points over time.

Hope this helps !

Cheers :mug:

There was lactose. Was a Brewer's Best kit for the chocolate milk stout. Spent about a week in the primary then moved it to the secondary and let it sit over cocoa nibs. Has been in the secondary 2 weeks. Was in the secondary for about a week between 68-70 degrees then moved it to the basement which is mid 60's temp. Could I move it back upstairs to a warmer temp to let it finish? Or will I have to do something extra to get the yeast going again? Thanks.

There was lactose. Was a Brewer's Best kit for the chocolate milk stout. Spent about a week in the primary then moved it to the secondary and let it sit over cocoa nibs. Has been in the secondary 2 weeks. Was in the secondary for about a week between 68-70 degrees then moved it to the basement which is mid 60's temp. Could I move it back upstairs to a warmer temp to let it finish? Or will I have to do something extra to get the yeast going again? Thanks.

Let it warm back up, and let it sit for 2+ months, if it were my beer Id let it sit 3+ months then Bottle or keg it.

And remember if you bottle, stouts take longer to carb up generally so give it at Minimum a full 3 weeks, then 3 days in the fridge before you try one, and don't be surprised if it takes 2 to 3 months to carb up, its a stout!

Also you will want to get it off the cocoa nibs for the rest of aging/conditioning.

Cheers :mug:

Back