Problems with FREEZER as FERM CHAMBER?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpartyParty

Reaction score
A friend of mine said he heard a podcast about the problems when using a chest freezer as a fermentation chamber. The idea is that a freezer is not built to handle the moisture that would be created in a fermentation chamber. Can anyone speak to that? Thanks!

You get condensation on the inside of the freezer as a result of the temperature differences. It's not like it's a deal breaker or anything though. Wipe it down every once in a while, use some damp-rid, or both.

I silicone sealed all the inside seams, use a thermowell to get the probe into the wort, and keep the damned door shut to minimize condensation.

No problems. Free freezer has been working for nearly 6 years.

Correct. Because of the large cooling capacity in a freezer, the walls will get very cold, very quickly, condensing the moisture in the air on the walls.

Use some damp rid and wipe it down occasionally.

I use a big 27 cubic foot deep freeze as a ferm chamber. In the winter I plug a heat lamp into a digital temp controller to heat it and in the warmer months I will just plug the freezer into the temp controller. works great.

Back