Problem batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basmith44134

Reaction score
I’m having a problem with a five gallon batch of cyser.

It’s not bubbling.

I started with 5 1/2 gallons great value apple juice (juice from concentrate with asobic acid) and 5 lbs honey.

I added 5 Camden tablets and let it sit 24 hours before pitching lavin Champaign yeast (2 packs). Thecyeast bloomed overnight in 2c water and 1c table sugar.

After a 5 days, I repitched with the addition of 12 ounces simply orange orange juice This was yesterday.

I keep my apartment at 68-70 degrees.

Any thoughts as to how to get this batch going?

Have you done this before exactly the same way and had positive results? Sometimes those buckets don’t seal well and fermentation is occurring with no visible bubbles. Check your gravity to see if it’s changed.

I don’t know about the other factors as I’ve only used beer yeast in my ciders and forego the campden since the juice is pasteurized. Did you oxygenate the juice somehow before pitching yeast?

I aerated by giving it a vigorous stir last night after reading your suggestion.

I got good bubbles for about 2 hours and then it fell off to a bubble a minute.

Well, first thing to do would have been to check the gravity. If it happened to have fermented already (sometimes these things happen fast and we miss it), you just added unwanted oxygen into the cider that could oxidize it.

Did you check gravity?

I’m having a problem with a five gallon batch of cyser.

It’s not bubbling.

I started with 5 1/2 gallons great value apple juice (juice from concentrate with asobic acid) and 5 lbs honey.

I added 5 Camden tablets and let it sit 24 hours before pitching lavin Champaign yeast (2 packs). Thecyeast bloomed overnight in 2c water and 1c table sugar.

After a 5 days, I repitched with the addition of 12 ounces simply orange orange juice This was yesterday.

I keep my apartment at 68-70 degrees.

Any thoughts as to how to get this batch going?

Did you check the juice for preservatives? Did you crush & dissolve the campden tabs before adding to the must? Did you give the must a good stir to aerate? The yeast actually need oxygen at this stage. I'd give it a good, healthy, vigorous stir & wait 24 hrs. It SHOULD be going like gangbusters.
Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back