Probably a really dumb question but......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ogri

Reaction score
If I didn't measure initial SG does this mean that I'll only have a rough idea of final SG from the readout on the hydrometer scale?

not only that but if I'm reading my hydrometer right it's showing me 1.016 @ 77F. Does this mean that the first beer I've brewed is a 1%r? :confused:

Tasted the sample and even though it was, obviously, flat I'm surprised at how inoffensive it tasted. My fermentation temp was way too high, about 26 to 28 degrees Celsius for the most part so was expecting it to be pretty gruesome. Actually cleared out quite well in the sample tube and looks a nice colour. Yeasty, a little malty, didn't seem too sweet. Been in the fermentor for 12 days but I'm leaning towards letting it go another week or so.

Your final SG is not calculated, it's measured. You measured you SG at 1.016. If it stays like that for 3+ days, then that is your final SG. Your original OG can be calculated by the ingredients and amounts of ingredients you used, however it will not be 100% accurate, but pretty close.

Your ABV is calculated using your initial SG and final SG values.

Also, you'll be fine with leaving it in the fermenter for another week or so. Won't hurt and thing and it will help the yeast clean up a bit after doing their thing.

Without an initial SG reading there is no way to determine the ABV. More information would be helpful, if this is an extract kit then your most likely close to what the kit says the OG would be. I would let it sit at least 1 more week, but testing the SG in two or three days and if it is the same then fermentation is complete.

You can use some brewing software to calculate your original gravity - like this one. Then you could estimate your ABV. If it is an extract batch, the calculated OG should be pretty close to what you actually had.

Because I didn't word the question too well. :eek:
Luckily you guys knew what I was trying to get at, which was establishing ABV.

Thx, all, for the replies.

it's a slightly tweaked Mr Beer kit so all extract. 1.1lb tin of Englishman's nut brown ale HME, used 1/2 a pack of booster, also used 1lb of Morgan's amber/caramalt UME and an 11.5g packet of safale S-04 dry yeast. slightly over 8.5 quarts total volume.

Got a massive typhoon rocking through here just now, which is going to relieve us of the end of summer high temps, so I reckon I'm going to start another batch of something else this evening. It'll help keep my mind off this first batch so I can handle the wait:fro::mug:

Back