priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockettbrews

Reaction score
how much priming sugar should i use on a two gallon batch?? i used 2.5 0z. Just wondering if that was the right amount???

2/5 of 3/4 of a cup ;)

Seriously though, I believe that with corn sugar, the basic conversion is 1 oz per gallon of beer, when priming a whole batch and not individual bottles. So you should be about right on. This link might be of some assistance too

If you're not carbing to style the rule of thumb is 1oz/gallon of beer.

You should always measure by wight not by volume. There's a classic clip by alton brown that shows how much variance something can be if measured by volume. He took to CUPS of regular flour and weighed them and they didn't match.

You ever measure out a up of flour and the tap the measuring cup on the counter to compress the flour and then add more to it? Or sifted flour then measured a cup of it in comparrision to unsifted?

Nowadays you can get a digital scale for under 20 bucks.

I have always used the 1 oz of priming sugar per gallon also. I was wondering if anyone has blended a sour beer and then tried to bottle condition? I am just wondering if blending 3 gallons of sour beer with 2 gallons of newly fermented un sour beer would require the same amount of priming sugar. I was thinking of using maybe .5 oz or .75 oz of priming sugar per gallon since the brett, pedio , and lacto are going to continue to ferment sugars that the yeast has not. I will be using heavy duty bottles and corks for bottling.

Back