Priming Sugar Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTS

Reaction score
Hello!

Back in January I made a Russian Imperial Stout (5G) and then transferred it to the secondary with coffee. So it have has beed sitting for 7 months now and I was planning on bottling it but I have some questions.

1. Has it been sitting too long for the priming sugar to work?

2. How much priming sugar do I use for this style of beer?

Thanks!

Thanks!
How much yeast will i have to add?

Don't want to mess this beer up, taste way to good!!

CTS said:
Thanks!
How much yeast will i have to add?

Don't want to mess this beer up, taste way to good!!

Add a few "grains" of a dried yeast. Really don't need much to carb it.

So say a 1/2 tsp of dried yeast for a 5g batch would be to much then?

CTS said:
Anyone? I don't want to create bottle bombs.

I am writing this on my phone. If I was on a PC I would send you the link to an article by northern brewer "advanced bottle conditioning". Google that and you will find a doc that will answer your questions. I recently posted it on HBT so if you can search my replies you will find it that way.

I am writing this on my phone. If I was on a PC I would send you the link to an article by northern brewer "advanced bottle conditioning". Google that and you will find a doc that will answer your questions. I recently posted it on HBT so if you can search my replies you will find it that way.

I found the article that you were talking about but it was all distorted on the computer and the same when i printed it out. Is there a better copy that i am unaware of?

Or does anyone know how much I should just add to 5g? 1/2tsp?

Thanks everyone

Anyone? I don't want to create bottle bombs.

The only way to create bottle bombs is by adding too much sugar. The yeast eat the sugar and turn it into CO2 and alcohol. So the sugar is the limiting factor. Adding too much yeast will just leave excess yeast in your bottles.

I just did this recently with a barleywine that I aged for a while but I can't remember how much dry yeast I added. I think it was about 1/2 a pack. I think anywhere from 1-6 grams will be fine. Just google something like "How much yeast to add at bottling" and see what other people have done.

peterj said:
The only way to create bottle bombs is by adding too much sugar. The yeast eat the sugar and turn it into CO2 and alcohol. So the sugar is the limiting factor. Adding too much yeast will just leave excess yeast in your bottles.

I just did this recently with a barleywine that I aged for a while but I can't remember how much dry yeast I added. I think it was about 1/2 a pack. I think anywhere from 1-6 grams will be fine. Just google something like "How much yeast to add at bottling" and see what other people have done.

Ahhh yes, that makes sense for bottle bombs. Thanks to your search recommendations I found a good article on bottle conditioning. I will try half a pack of dried yeast and see what the results are.

I found the article that you were talking about but it was all distorted on the computer and the same when i printed it out. Is there a better copy that i am unaware of?

Or does anyone know how much I should just add to 5g? 1/2tsp?

Thanks everyone

try here

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/AdvancedBottleConditioning.pdf

i have tried to attach to this post too - it is a pdf. as i write it looks like it has attached, but obviously can't confirm

View attachment AdvancedBottleConditioning.pdf

Back