Priming 3 gal kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King_Coaster

Reaction score
Since my plan is to always have back up kegs ready to go does anyone know how much priming sugar to use for a 3 gal keg?

I have 8 of them but can only fit 2 at a time in the kegerator. I don't want to keep going to the beer store while I have 20 gals of uncarbonated beer sitting around. It just makes no sense to wait a week or 2 every time I swap for carbonation and I have had zero luck force carbing, so I have given up trying.

How have you had zero luck force-carbing? You look at the chart, find the temp your keg is at and the volumes of CO2 you want in the beer, and apply the corresponding pressure of CO2 to the keg for about a week. You literally cannot go wrong.

How have you had zero luck force-carbing? You look at the chart, find the temp your keg is at and the volumes of CO2 you want in the beer, and apply the corresponding pressure of CO2 to the keg for about a week. You literally cannot go wrong.

I assume our friend here has multiple taps and would like to keep them both (or more) serving already carbonated, ready to drink beer, instead of tying one gas line up with carbing all the time.

Maybe not. But can we all agree that this is the Beginner Forum, and that we can turn down the sass? Jus' sayin'

Maybe not. But can we all agree that this is the Beginner Forum, and that we can turn down the sass? Jus' sayin'

I assume our friend here [...]
has had his question answered and that a little sarcastic humor may incorage him to look up the terms used in discribing carbonation techiques. I would also assume that, unlike you, he understands where we're coming from and doesn't need the PC police to help him.

My question is about priming a 3 gal keg with priming sugar.

I apologize if I used the wrong terminology. I can carb fine with the set & forget method. I have no luck with the shake or roll with higher pressure quick carbing.

Since my plan is to always have back up kegs ready to go does anyone know how much priming sugar to use for a 3 gal keg?

I have 8 of them but can only fit 2 at a time in the kegerator. I don't want to keep going to the beer store while I have 20 gals of uncarbonated beer sitting around. It just makes no sense to wait a week or 2 every time I swap for carbonation and I have had zero luck force carbing, so I have given up trying.

I use .75 oz/gal of priming sugar/malt when I keg condition. All my kegs are 3 gal & are usually ready in 7-10 days at room temp.
Don't forget to seal the keg w/ CO2 after adding your beer & priming sugar.

Latest posts

Back