Primary Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garmoni

Reaction score
I have a 15 gallon conical fermentation vessel that I used for the first time this week. It has a lid that sits on the top but does not seal tight. Once fermentation is complete how urgent is it to rack to a secondary vessel that can be fitted with an air lock?

during fermentation the gas should push most oxygen coming in back out, once fermentation is complete the ability for oxygen to get in through a loose seal is much higher. Another point is that you risk oxidizing the beer when racking to secondary as well,

I would let fermentation end and then rack to secondary once I've had multiple readings for my FG at the same level, and when racking I would be very careful to not splash it to much

I have a 15 gallon conical fermentation vessel that I used for the first time this week. It has a lid that sits on the top but does not seal tight. Once fermentation is complete how urgent is it to rack to a secondary vessel that can be fitted with an air lock?

A 15-gallon conical that doesn't seal? Huh?
I'd be sending that back for a refund or figuring out how to seal it properly.

Back