Primary Ferm Temps - Duration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatorforty

Reaction score
Guys,

I'm brewing 2.5 gallon batches, with the primary fermentation in a Mr. Beer keg. My ambient temp is about 78 degrees (with the AC on) , and the only way I have to keep the keg any cooler is putting it in an ice chest with a few frozen bottles.

Doing that has worked great, and I've been able to keep my latest American wheat beer at about 64deg for a week. It seems like most of the active fermentation is done...krausen has come and gone, and beer is clearing a bit. ...but now I want to brew another batch and I only have room for one keg in the ice chest...so...

What will happen it sits for another week or two at 78 degrees to finish?

Ron

Once primary fermentation is complete, the yeast are generally inactive and raising the temperature will affect the beer less. It will be fine sitting in the 70's after primary. I never secondary in my fermentation chamber. Also, when you bottle, you add sugar to allow the yeast to carb the bottles and let them sit at room temperature with no ill effects.
-Jefe-

Back