Primary Dry Hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elgee

Reaction score
This may have been answered but wondering what people have for experience with a dry hop in primary. Will it be a waste and drive off any aroma through the airlock?

This may have been answered but wondering what people have for experience with a dry hop in primary. Will it be a waste and drive off any aroma through the airlock?

I think the common answer is going to be yes and that it will be a waste of hops if you will be able to impart the same aroma you are looking for just by waiting a few days to do a dry hop after primary fermentation has completed.

It works for NEIPAs.
Sure some is lost, but much is also gained, given the larger quantities and process typical for those kind of beers.

During primary fermentation, I think you'll probably lose a lot.

But I do add mine in the primary fermenter, when it looks like activity has mostly stopped. Then after 4-7 days that's when I move to secondary to clear.

I just used some hop hash, crystal. Wow, it really worked. I tossed it in the primary at high krausen. I really want to get some citra hop hash and try that next.

It’s debatable and depends on the yeast you’re using.

A lot will say it’s amazing and essential for NEIPAs. A lot of credible professional breweries will say you just end up with a muddled hop mess and it’s a waste of hops.

For maximum hop aroma you need the minimum amount of yeast present in the beer before adding a Dry Hop as long as you can keep O2 ingress at bay.

I think the bigger debate is the exact temp you dry hop at.. I think there a big difference between 60* and even 68/70.

I have done it before in a NEIPA which may be why a lot of them require a second hop charge closer to the end of fermentation.

I have done it before in a NEIPA which may be why a lot of them require a second hop charge closer to the end of fermentation.
Exactly!
There's an alleged bio-transformation from dry hopping during early fermentation (30-70% attenuated), the results are second to none. Then that extra dose of dry hops toward the end, when fermentation is about over, puts it where we want it to be.

Latest posts

Back