Pretzel Necklaces and Beer Festivals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a great little tip you can use when you go to beer festivals:

Make some pretzel necklaces!

Sometimes they sell them there, but sometimes they don't. The pretzels are a great way to cleanse your palate between samples and also helps, to some degree, keep you from getting tipsy too quickly.

This past weekend wife and I made a couple of necklaces for a beer festival we try and go to every year. We even made a couple of extras just in case we meet someone who asks about them and seems friendly.

Well, we got comments every few minutes from people asking where they can buy them! At one point we started chatting with a couple and I gave them my spare necklace. A few minutes later the lady came back and gave me one of her tokens in appreciation!

Now I don't know why the beer festival only made pretzel necklaces the first year, and stopped after that, but I wish they would start up again! Meantime, make your own and enjoy that festival!

And if you don't know how, here's how!

Take some string and thread it through a bunch of pretzels of your favorite size. Leave enough string to fit the whole thing over your head and tie the ends together. Place around neck. When the mood strikes, bite the pretzel where the string goes through and it releases the pretzel from the necklace.

I don't think food is good chestware for the ladies - especially in a drinking crowd. Throws out those temptation vibrations that no drunk guy needs.

Otherwise, it is a great idea for palate cleansing.

At a beer festival I went to recently, the best food item was bacon on a stick. I never tried it, but it was a great idea and the sales seemed brisk. It smelled good, that's for sure!

I will NEVER wear one of those again! What happens is, a bunch of drunk guys come up and try to bite them off of your, er, chest. I assume guys don't have that problem, but I will never do that again that's for sure!

A couple guys had these one year at our UPtoberfest. I always want to have a pretzel necklace, but then I realized what would happen. (see above)

I will NEVER wear one of those again! What happens is, a bunch of drunk guys come up and try to bite them off of your, er, chest. I assume guys don't have that problem, but I will never do that again that's for sure!

Ummm, yes, I have seen that happen a few times! Can't say though that I've ever seen a woman try to do the same of a man's......uh, pretzel...necklace:)

The few beerfests I have been to all had a "no outside food/drink" policy (to protect the food vendors). However, they would allow "anything strung on a necklace," which seemed rather arbitrary. They also allowed bottled water. I learned to just wear trousers with big cargo pockets, as nobody gets frisked at the gate, and I didn't really want to string together a pretzel necklace. I stuff the pockets with snacks, as I refuse to buy the crappy, overpriced food typically served at those venues. The last fest I attended, in Duluth, MN, had only one water station, and that only worked about half the time. Bring your own water. Hydrate.

First time me and SWMBO saw a guy with a pretzel necklace i went over and asked where he got it. Said he made it himself....mind blown...

Its been on our list EVERYTIME we go to a festival since then!

Time to check out UPtoberfest in Escanaba MI on October 12, 2-7 pm. :rockin:

(site will be updated soon)

http://uptoberfest.org/index.shtml

I hope so. It's only a month and a half away, and there's no info on the site as to beer vendors and ticket prices. They had better put it in gear soon.

Thanks for the link, I'll keep that one in mind for a road trip, though it's a bit of a drive for me.

At the Winter Beer Fest in GR people had some pretty crazy ones. Beef jerky, giant soft pretzels, cheese sticks, snack-size bags of chips, etc. Mine just had pretzels of a few different flavors/sizes. Next time I'm going much bigger.

I can't imagine these things catching on down here in sweat-land.

Wearing baked goods around your neck in 95 degree heat with 98% humidity would get pretty funky. Kind of like carrying sandwiches in a shoulder holster.

Pass.

At the last beer fest I volunteered at, I made around a hundred pretzel necklaces. The trick it to tie your string on a crochet hook while you wrassle them things on there. Our pretzel necklace sales went to charity so I would buy it there. But if it was a vendor selling cheap pretzels for profit, I will bring my own plus extras

hmm perhaps I should try a pretzel belt the next beer fest I attend

I was thinking that same thing JUST before I read your post.

Yes, this beer festival supported the United Way, so we made sure to hit the food stand too. Trust me, a pretzel necklace doesn't quite fix the beer munchies.

I really need to remember to ask the committee about pretzel necklaces next year. If they sell them for charity I think it would be a great addition. Not sure what deal they have with the food vendors. We actually volunteered last year and really enjoyed doing it, but due to potential other obligations we couldn't commit this year until almost the day of.

Now that I think about it, I wonder what kinds of food would be good to string around your neck... Pretzels are pretty good between beers.

I can't imagine these things catching on down here in sweat-land.

Wearing baked goods around your neck in 95 degree heat with 98% humidity would get pretty funky. Kind of like carrying sandwiches in a shoulder holster.

Pass.

I feel you there. Though when I was in college this girl I was kinda seeing was wearing a candy necklace at a frat party. Lets just say she was rather sweet at the end of the night, but the neclace did melt down to almost nothing during the duration of the night.

I feel you there. Though when I was in college this girl I was kinda seeing was wearing a candy necklace at a frat party. Lets just say she was rather sweet at the end of the night, but the neclace did melt down to almost nothing during the duration of the night.

I've lived a good life so far, and am happily married and have 2 wonderful, caring daughters, etc, etc.

But it's those kinds of stories that really just make me sad and depressed. It's a part of life I missed out on and can never go back to.

Best I can hope for is to buy a candy necklace and give it to my wife... :rockin:

I've lived a good life so far, and am happily married and have 2 wonderful, caring daughters, etc, etc.

But it's those kinds of stories that really just make me sad and depressed. It's a part of life I missed out on and can never go back to.

Best I can hope for is to buy a candy necklace and give it to my wife... :rockin:

Heck. In some of those stores like Spencers they make em into ladies underpants.

At a beer festival I went to recently, the best food item was bacon on a stick. I never tried it, but it was a great idea and the sales seemed brisk. It smelled good, that's for sure!

That was the one we went to together, yes? Where Hugh had lived in a Muslim pork-free country for the past few months and at the festival ate a prodigious number of 'bacon on a stick'.

Quite the thread revival.

I've made them to every one I go to and people are flat out AMAZED at the idea, and wonder where we got it. "Uh...$5 will make you a few, you should try it some time." I thought this was the norm for beerfests of any kind really, but I guess not?

If you go with the 'choker' style necklace then the worst you will get is a hickey!

So let me throw this out there at you guys. Last time wife and I went to a festival type thing I forgot to prepare a necklace. So on the way I'm thinking back to when I did some judging for beer competitions and they would always have oyster crackers or saltines available for cleansing the palate. And I wonder about making a saltine dispenser that you can clip onto your belt. (The original idea as actually a pretzel dispenser to keep the pretzels dry during rain, but I haven't figured out how to make it fit the shape of the pretzel perfectly.)

Good idea? I know it's not as fun as a pretzel necklace, and I'm not sure crackers are as good as pretzels to most people, but think about it. It's a tube into which you slide a stack of saltines. The tube is square to fit the crackers and at the bottom is a slot through which you can slide the bottom cracker. A slot in the bottom allows you to slide it out with your finger. The construction is really quite simple. The question is: Will anyone want one?

My wife was very NOT interested in product development with me that day. I did a quick mock-up with the few minutes I had the next day, but the carboard I used was the wrong type and I was in a hurry. Anyway, the bottom line is how attractive are crackers to a beer drinking festival goer?

So let me throw this out there at you guys. Last time wife and I went to a festival type thing I forgot to prepare a necklace. So on the way I'm thinking back to when I did some judging for beer competitions and they would always have oyster crackers or saltines available for cleansing the palate. And I wonder about making a saltine dispenser that you can clip onto your belt. (The original idea as actually a pretzel dispenser to keep the pretzels dry during rain, but I haven't figured out how to make it fit the shape of the pretzel perfectly.)

Good idea? I know it's not as fun as a pretzel necklace, and I'm not sure crackers are as good as pretzels to most people, but think about it. It's a tube into which you slide a stack of saltines. The tube is square to fit the crackers and at the bottom is a slot through which you can slide the bottom cracker. A slot in the bottom allows you to slide it out with your finger. The construction is really quite simple. The question is: Will anyone want one?

My wife was very NOT interested in product development with me that day. I did a quick mock-up with the few minutes I had the next day, but the carboard I used was the wrong type and I was in a hurry. Anyway, the bottom line is how attractive are crackers to a beer drinking festival goer?

I like that idea. Kind of like a Pez dispenser. It wouldn't be attractive, but I'd wear one at a fest. You need something to cleanse the palate between beers.

A bit OT, but another thing to bring to a beer fest is a canteen of water, as most of the events I have been to around here have had little availability of H2O.

Latest posts

Back