Pretty sure I have an infection (pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cadrian

Reaction score
I went out of town for the week, before I did I transferred 5 gallons of my all Columbus DIPA to secondary (only because I needed a 6.5 gallon carboy free) then dry hopped 4 oz of columbus pellets for a planned 5 to 6 days.

This is what I came home to....
r1kefd.jpg

2qnwi1w.jpg

I feel like I failed as a homebrewer, I keep going back over my process and really dont know where I made a mistake, I cleaned everything with star san. I did just put the dry hops in by hand but assumed it would be ok.

Looks like trub chunks. Both hop residue & proteins from your wort. I had a beer w/ an entire layer below my krausen once. One of the clearest beers ever when I transferred to secondary b

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Looks like trub chunks. Both hop residue & proteins from your wort. I had a beer w/ an entire layer below my krausen once. One of the clearest beers ever when I transferred to secondary b

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What kicked up the trub? And it's in the secondary.... i assumed I shouldn't have any now, I had nothing floating for days before I left for the week.

They're yeast rafts, CO2 can get trapped and float a chunk to the surface, not a big deal.

Bottled last night, tasted fine just a bitter Bomb. Thanks never seen huge chunks of us 05 floating in secondary. It was a little hot at 72 so I think that didn't help.

Back