Pretty psyched!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boondocksaint

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Today I picked up a 10 Gal craft bourbon barrel from a local craft brewery for a super reasonable price!
Planning on sanitizing it with boiling water and then re-charging it with a 1/5 of bourbon (or maybe that new cask mates Jameson's!?). I figured I'd let that chill while the oatmeal breakfast stout I just brewed Fri ferments. I'll be away for about a month starting next week, so when I get back I'll dump the whiskey and transfer the stout into the barrel and let it hang out for a month or two. Then, keg & enjoy!

image.jpg

Congrats on getting your barrel!

If it was me, I would try to recharge it with a similar spirit as to what it once held so the flavors wouldn't get muddied up.

Do you have anyone who can flip and turn your barrel around while you are gone? It would help with getting the bourbon to contact as much as possible.

Yeah, im either going to get COMHOMFLT (wife) on tap to turn & flip every couple of days or a buddy (brewing partner) offered to take on barrel duty. You're right, I def want to keep the wood from drying out!

Back