Pressurizing keg to lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnobg

Reaction score
I've never left a keg for a long period of time without being hooked up on gas. I recently brewed a lager that I am leaving in the fermentation chamber at 32F for 4-5 weeks. I kegged it and pressurized to 30 psi to seal the lid while it lagers. Is this amount of pressure going to carbonate the beer at all or will it all absorb and break the lid on the seal? I'm trying to avoid moving the keg to hit it with more gas within the 4-5 weeks so I don't agitate the sediment. I suppose I could pull a pint with the picnic tap first if I needed to add more gas?

It will absorb the gas to a degree, but shouldn't fully carb, and should maintain positive pressure enough to keep a seal.

Why wouldn't it fully carb? Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounds to me like the OP is planning to leave it at 30 PSI, 32 degrees for several weeks--that sounds like a recipe for major overcarbonation to me.

It was pressurized with 30psi to seal the lid but isn't hooked up on gas. I tried to explain that the best I could in the original post.

Why wouldn't it fully carb? Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounds to me like the OP is planning to leave it at 30 PSI, 32 degrees for several weeks--that sounds like a recipe for major overcarbonation to me.

It was pressurized with 30psi to seal the lid but isn't hooked up on gas. I tried to explain that the best I could in the original post.

This.
I made the (now confirmed to be correct) assumption that he disconnected it for storage after pressurizing it.

I have done this before and it does carb a little bit while at 32F, but maybe not fully carbed like it would at 65F (natural keg carbonate) or while you leave the gas on the keg. It may surprise us and it will be carbed to a satisfactory level, but you may have to finish it off with CO2 at the end of the lagering process since the yeast is all but dormant at that 32F temp. Good thing is it will be ready to go soon thereafter since you will have taken care of the long lagering process already.

Back