Pressure Relief Valves, Reliability, and Conicals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanzimonson

Reaction score
I'm planning out a conical purchase and am having some trouble figuring out the best plan for CO2.

I know I want the ability to add CO2 for transferring, for pushing trub and my flocculant yeast out, and for taking samples without taking in air. It seems like the pressure gauges sold by the online shops are merely for monitoring the pressure, not actually relieving it.

I'm worried about over-pressurizing the conical and ruining it, and I've seen advice that the typical regulators we use for carbonating are not going to be precise enough to ensure you don't exceed 5psi.

Has anybody built a pressure relief valve that can reliably be set to vent excess pressure? Are my concerns unnecessary?

Have you seen the relief mechanism on a Blichman? I'd say it's highly reliable, highly effective and dead simple. I don't see the need for anything more complex for a homebrewer. There's really no chance you could damage the conical with the way they are setup. I can't speak for other brands but I assume they are all similar.

Hmmm, well to be honest I was thinking about the 14gal SS Brewtech, but I would separately purchase some extra parts to eliminate the threaded fittings and such. It'll still be several $100 cheaper than buying a Blichmann or MoreBeer conical.

Seems like every one of the conicals out there are pretty adamant about not exceeding 5psi, and if you're planning on adding CO2 for transferring, they recommend buying a more precise, low pressure regulator for your CO2 tank... but who's actually gonna do that? So I figured there must be a better way.

I recently put together a triclamp pressure transfer setup for my SS brew tech 14 gal conical. I went with the digital pressure gauge so that I can get a semi-decent reading even it it's under 1 PSI.... Here is the parts list...

T fitting
Gauge
Barb
TriClamp

I had a few of the barbs and and misc tubing already, so it was easy to throw together. During actual usage, its very accurate to see any pressure buildup. I usually set it to around 2 PSI for keg transfers through a 1/2" ID tube.

Last edited by a moderator:
mfabe,

Do you have a low pressure regulator or are you using just a standard regulator and measuring the pressure with the gauge?

Thanks!

I have ordered a 14 gallon SS brew tech conical, but I have not received it. On there web site it states, "Pressure relief valve INCLUDED, no need order". It's the same on that comes on the half barrel and says it relieves pressure between 5-6 psi.

Nice! But correct me if I'm wrong - this still looks like a device for monitoring pressure, rather than adding the ability to vent excess pressure to protect the conical? Are these conicals more durable than the manufacturers let on regarding 5psi of pressure? Or is it not much of a concern to use a normal regulator that you would use for carbonation/serving to add pressure to the conical?

I have ordered a 14 gallon SS brew tech conical, but I have not received it. On there web site it states, "Pressure relief valve INCLUDED, no need order". It's the same on that comes on the half barrel and says it relieves pressure between 5-6 psi.

Oh sweet, I didn't notice that. That changes everything!

I have a morebeer 14 gal and it has a pressure relief valve on the lid and allows pressurizing with the valve attachment. Had it for years and is awesome. Worth the price for well thought out equipment, many accessories available and excellent construction and customer service.

Call SS brew tech for specs. Look up diy spunding valves. As for transfer you should be able to set your regulator at 2-3. As long as you moving to another vessel that not pressurized you can't over-pressurize.

You could buy a brewery grade spunding for $150 too!

If your worried about pressure exceeding the limits of the conical, and the one your considering doesn't have a pressure release value like the SS brew tech ones, then it would be easy to use a t fitting like this:

Cross fitting

To add a gauge on one side, then an adjustable pressure relief valve on the other such as one of these:

Adjustable Pressure Relief/Splundling valve

Then you could test and check the limit of the pressure release before you attach the triclamp to the conical...

Last edited by a moderator:
mfabe,

Do you have a low pressure regulator or are you using just a standard regulator and measuring the pressure with the gauge?

Thanks!

Hey Pliny,

I have a spare/portable 2.5lb cylinder and standard regulator I use for serving from kegs at friends houses etc... I use that rig with its standard 30 psi scale and just dial the gas way down to a few PSI... then its easy to hold your finger over the triclamp outlet on the pressure transfer rig for a second to see the more accurate pressure that the electronic gauge measures. Usually the analog and digital gauges disagree by 1-2PSI. So It takes me about 30 seconds to get it dialed in so that the digital gauge reads between 1.5-2PSI for transfers, then after I'm done I just crank it back up to serve pressure for whenever i need it.

Thanks, mfabe! So, you're just using your standard kegging regulator to set the low pressure CO2 during transfers. Good to know.

I got a fresh new conical from Santa and will soon be doing pressure transfers into a purged keg (fill with StarSan, drain, and fill through the liquid out post). Just trying to understand what additional equipment is needed to make this happen.

Thanks again for your help!

Back