Pressure release valve was leaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacster

Reaction score
I went to keg my first batch in almost 4 years today and I found that the PRV leaked. I had replaced the lid and poppett gaskets and those were fine, but the valve itself would leak. I pressure checked the keg, my only one, before I used it and I noticed it leaking but after I jiggled it it would stop. But when I put the beer in it and put pressure on I couldn't get it to stop leaking ever so slightly. Luckily I found a home brew shop that has a new lid in stock, but it requires crossing into the dreaded New Jersey to get it. Coincidentally I was planning on maybe doing a bike ride that included Jersey City, Bayonne, the Bayonne Bridge, Staten Island and the Goethals bridge back to NJ. These are not quite the garden spots of the world, even though they are mostly in the Garden State.

Anyway, my options were pretty limited. I could try fixing it, but I don't even have gasket lube. A new valve costs as much as the entire lid with the valve. I'll get this lid. I figure it is a lot cheaper than waking up to an empty CO2 tank that I just swapped today.

Absolutely correct on all counts. You could buy a couple of new lids w/PRVs for the cost of a 5 pound cylinder refill around here.

Cheers! (Enjoy your ride and stay safe :))

i hate co2 leaks..... :mug:

(i would be distressed more by it being the first time in 4 years the keg was filled though)

I got the lid but didn't bring the bike. I wanted to get the lid on the beer before I did the ride, so I'll just do one of my many standard rides here in Brooklyn. I put the lid on and it clearly had no leaks.

I think I may force carb it though, I want to taste my first brew in a while. I can just let it lager after that.

Last edited:
And then I found another leak, the ball lock valve was not tight to the hose. I think it only had loosened shortly before I discovered it.

Latest posts

Back