Pressure Canner for Cooking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacticacid

Reaction score
I was thinking about buying a pressure canner for canning wort.

Are there any models that could be used for both pressure cooking and pressure canning?

It seams like the size of the 23qt models may be too large to use for pressure cooking.

I purchased one of these probably a year ago

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/elite-platinum-8-quart-pressure-cooker-blue/1857603.p?id=1219066201973&skuId=1857603&st=elite%20pressure%20cooker&cp=1&lp=4

Having had no previous experience with a pressure cooker, I wanted something I wouldn't blow myself up with. This advertises safety features like auto shut-off and timer and such, all of which I've found no issues with. I feel completely safe every time I use it, and the ease of use is a huge plus. Definitely a set it and forget it type of tool.

Being only 8 qt capacity, it does limit you a bit, but my initial interest was for making slants. I've also canned wort for starters, I believe I'm able to fit 4 or 5 masons jars at a time.

We do a lot of cooking with it as well. I've since bought a few pressure cooker cook books and searched recipes online, finding some decent ones here and there.

Overall, I think it's a solid buy for multiple uses, and is a good alternative from the old school 23 qt type stove top cookers.

Unless you are cooking for an army or want to can 4oz jars of wort, you aren't going to be able to use one pressure cooker for both things,

It really depends on your intentions for use. Like I said, I use mine for making slants, and I can 300mL jars of wort, to keep on hand for reviving the slants before stepping them up.

Sure, you're not going to be canning 2L jars of wort with a smaller unit, but you just need to be realistic in what you're gonna use it for.

I purchased one of these probably a year ago

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/elite-platinum-8-quart-pressure-cooker-blue/1857603.p?id=1219066201973&skuId=1857603&st=elite%20pressure%20cooker&cp=1&lp=4

Having had no previous experience with a pressure cooker, I wanted something I wouldn't blow myself up with. This advertises safety features like auto shut-off and timer and such, all of which I've found no issues with. I feel completely safe every time I use it, and the ease of use is a huge plus. Definitely a set it and forget it type of tool.

Being only 8 qt capacity, it does limit you a bit, but my initial interest was for making slants. I've also canned wort for starters, I believe I'm able to fit 4 or 5 masons jars at a time.

We do a lot of cooking with it as well. I've since bought a few pressure cooker cook books and searched recipes online, finding some decent ones here and there.

Overall, I think it's a solid buy for multiple uses, and is a good alternative from the old school 23 qt type stove top cookers.

This unit seems to be advertised for pressure cooking, not pressure canning. Is it able to withstand pressure canning pressures at all altitudes?

This unit seems to be advertised for pressure cooking, not pressure canning. Is it able to withstand pressure canning pressures at all altitudes?

I can't speak to the exact specs of the unit, and I've only canned wort and BBQ sauce with mine. I wanna say the instruction manual that came with it was a little more specific to its canning process and abilities, although I don't know if they covered altitudes.

I've had no issues with what I've canned so far, having used/consumed the wort and sauces, months after canning. You may be able to get the info you're looking for, from reaching out direct to the manufacturer.

Back