Preparing to leave for 2 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachary80

Reaction score
Right now I have my RyePA (1.065 OG) in primary, and it's been around 48 hours. So far there is no airlock activity but the temperature is a few degrees above ambient (fermometer reading around 70). I will check for visible activity before I leave. I originally pitched S-05 without rehydrating into the wort.

Should I pitch another packet of S-05 if there is no visible activity? I figure half the first packet died anyway, and might be better to just be safe.

Is there any disadvantage to leaving a blowoff hose on it for 1-2 weeks? I'm worried since I won't be able to monitor it at all and don't want a sticky ceiling.

Temp above ambient is some visible sign.

Why do you think the yeast died?

I never rehydrate 05. Sprinkle in on top and come back in 3-4 weeks. I would leave it.

Leave it with a blow off hose in a bucket with enough liquid in it so as not to go dry while you're gone. Better safe than sorry.

US-05is pretty reliable. I always have good success with it. Airlock bubbling is not a good indication of fermentation, even though we all like to see it.

Just put the blow off tube on it and stick it in a jug of starsan. Everything should be good when you return.

The yeast will probably finish. Ive heard JZ say the same, but remember that hes a stickler for proper pitching rates. Even if hes right and youve killed off some yeast, probably more than enough stayed alive to propagate and ferment your beer.

I was able to check the primary before leaving and there was a nice krausen. It was my first time with a new bucket so I assume there is some sort of leak. I didn't mess with it. Just added a blowoff to be safe

Back