Preparing for first AG batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blanstuf

Reaction score
I'm preparing to do my first AG batch tomorrow and want to be sure I don't forget anything. I've brewed about 10 extract batches but haven't brewed anything since May, and never AG.

I'm doing a simple smash with M.O. grain, hops (don't remember which), and yeast I've already made a starter with. I bought 12 lbs of grain (instead of 10) in case I get bad efficiency. The Brewer's Friend calculator says I should have OG of 1.062 but I'm not too worried if it is higher or slightly lower.

I've attached my equipment list and step by step instructions. If you have a minute to take a look at them and tell me what I forgot, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

View attachment All Grain.pdf

View attachment Equipment List.pdf

I'll take a stab at a couple things.
1) not sure what you are planning to sanitize to start the day, but most equipment only needs to be clean.
2) 3 gal seems excessive to me for just preheating the mash tun. I usually just do a gallon or so and slosh it around. Takes too much more time to do 3 gal for me.
8) I don't usually check temp throughout, though on first run it might give you an idea of what's going on. No need to stir mash really. Can just take temp at end.
9) make sure you heat sprague water before mash is done!! ;)
17) not sure how you plan to sanitize chiller, but if you put it in the boil with 10 min left like some people do, make sure not to forget. I crank my boil up before doing so since the chiller cools it a bit when you drop it in.

Good luck. Don't forget to relax and enjoy it too!!

I get fewer dough balls if I add the grain slowly to the water in the tun, that way I can stir as I pour. If I get a ball its easier for me to break it up as the mash is a lot thinner at that point.

From what I've seen most people oxygenate before pitching yeast.

Looks like you've got a good handle on everything though.

Good luck and remember to have fun :)

Blanstuf...you got this. This is a good list and you're going to have a helluva good time.

I only noticed one thing, and your process is similar to mine. Most of us oxygenate before we pitch. I noticed, like me, that you use an ice bath. Do you stir the c*&^p out of the wort to help it cool down faster? This usually oxygenates the wort.

Again, your list was an excellent idea and this is gonna be awesome!

I finally have time to post a follow up, so here we go.

Brew day was a success in that I will have made beer, although there were several issues.

Issue 1: Mashed at 153 instead of 152

Issue 2: Did not account for absorption, so I did not prepare enough sparge water. I ended up having to heat more (a couple times) and adding it to the HLT

Issue 3: The sparge itself. I couldn't get the valves opened just right so it ended up taking an hour or so. I also had the MLT sitting on a padded chair during the sparge, which made it lean backwards slightly so the grain probably did not get rinsed evenly.

Issue 4: When I took the sample pre-boil, I forgot to chill it before testing it even though my directions said to chill it.

Issue 5: My brother had the propane up higher than I normally brew at so I had 2 gallons of boil-off instead of 1 gallon.

Fortunately, I can correct these for next time. Other than this, everything went fine. I ended up with 4.5 gallons in the fermenter with 1.066 OG. Messing around with the numbers, it looks like I got about 65% efficiency. Can anyone double check me on this? 12lbs of grain, OG 1.066 in 4.5 gallons

One thing I am confused about, when I measured my hot/warm sample pre-boil, it showed 1.044. Adjusting this for temperature (estimated 160 degrees) comes out to around 1.066, which was my OG. I know these can't be the same since I boiled off 2 gallons. I also really doubt it cooled down to normal temperature before I tested it, I didn't wait hours or anything and I did give it a gentle stir. Maybe I just misread the hydrometer.

Anyways, I'm done rambling, thanks.

Latest posts

Back