pre-drilled Concord kettles on EBAY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in the market for a 60 qt. kettle and have been researching for the last several days when I came across that seller on ebay. I found your post when I did a search for pre-drilled kettle reviews.

The price is hard to beat and Concord seems to get good reviews overall. My only sticking point is whether I want to go weldless or welded and if in fact the advertised size is exact. Seems to be a 50/50 split over welding issue, but I had seen in another post that real capacities can sometimes be lower than the advertised.

I am in the market for a 60 qt. kettle and have been researching for the last several days when I came across that seller on ebay. I found your post when I did a search for pre-drilled kettle reviews.

The price is hard to beat and Concord seems to get good reviews overall. My only sticking point is whether I want to go weldless or welded and if in fact the advertised size is exact. Seems to be a 50/50 split over welding issue, but I had seen in another post that real capacities can sometimes be lower than the advertised.

regardless a 15 or 14 gallon kettle can still support a 10 gallon batch... what size are you looking to brew? my kettle was advertised as 13 gallons.

I have been brewing extract kits in a 4 gallon pot for way to long and want to do full boils for 5 gallon batches. Eventually, I also want to brew 10 gallons batches and eventually get into AG brewing.

Everything I have read says: "buy big and buy once. I started out looking at 10 gallon pots, but now I am on to 15 gallon pots. Right now I am between a 15 gallon Kettle from Spike Brewing, with horizontal bulkheads, or a DIY Concord weld-less set up

The measurements given on the ebay listing....
60 Quart Brew Kit w/ Accessories. Measurements: 17" Wide x 16.5" Height (measurements for pot only)

and this calculator here gives a calculated volume of 16.2 gallons
http://www.1728.org/verttank.htm

I have no idea if the kettle measurements are accurate, or perhaps they are the exterior kettle dimensions which include the kettle rim, but it would appear to be 15 gallons either way....YMMV

Thanks for that information wilserbrewer. That calculator is great and will come in handy. I will probably get the 60 qt kettle with the flat lid (may notch it for my immersion chiller) and drill holes myself. I want to be sure I place the thermometer low enough so that it will work for 5 gallon batches. according to that calculator, if I place it less the 5" from the bottom I should be fine.

The 60 qt is perfect for 10 gallon batches. I have it and did go predrilled. I recommend going to brew hardware.com to get a dip tube since the bottom hole is 4" above the bottom.

The 60 qt is perfect for 10 gallon batches. I have it and did go predrilled. I recommend going to brew hardware.com to get a dip tube since the bottom hole is 4" above the bottom.
Hello, I'm glad to hear you like the 60 qt, because I've been second guessing myself for not going bigger. It seems to be 50/50 whether one should get a 15 or a 20 gallon kettle for the occasional 10 gallon batch brewer.

Bobby_M, that is my thinking in going with the undrilled kettle. I'm planning on placing the thermometer between 2" and 3" off the bottom and offset it to the side of the drain hole. First of all though, I have to get over the fear of putting holes in a perfectly fine kettle! I've also been browsing your shop and plan on placing an order in the near future.

Hello, I'm glad to hear you like the 60 qt, because I've been second guessing myself for not going bigger. It seems to be 50/50 whether one should get a 15 or a 20 gallon kettle for the occasional 10 gallon batch brewer.

Bobby_M, that is my thinking in going with the undrilled kettle. I'm planning on placing the thermometer between 2" and 3" off the bottom and offset it to the side of the drain hole. First of all though, I have to get over the fear of putting holes in a perfectly fine kettle! I've also been browsing your shop and plan on placing an order in the near future.

Had I even caught onto how high 4" actually was, I would have gone without the pre-drilled and just bought the step bit. I don't regret it nearly as much once BobbyM put together a dip tube setup for me though. The only hassle with that is I have to always remember to tighten the nut because it is loosened after each brew day. Again though, the dip tube saves losing a lot of beer.

The thermometer that I put in is only good when i do 10 gallon batches. Not so much of a worry now because I did buy an induction cook top and 10 gallon pot for indoor brewing. 10 gallons will always be done outside from now on.

Back