Pre Aciding Starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radwizard

Reaction score
Is there an online calc out there, or does anyone know the formula for acid additions in starters?

I am trying to create some starter media to do some wild captures. I want my starter to be at 4.5 ph.

I have a PH meter and could do some sampling, just wanted to see if anyone had this sorted, or there was a resource out there so I dont have to waste DME or play with my starter to much.

Im using distilled water and my starter is going to be 1.03. I have Lactic Acid 88% for preacidification.

Thanks!

Not sure if there is a specific calculator for that purpose but you should be able to set up one of the water calculators to accomplish your goal.

Around 0.5mL 88% lactic acid per liter of 1.040 wort should put you in the 4.0-4.5 range. I don't coddle my wild yeast with 1.030 wort. :)

I also use hops 1-3 g/L boiled ~5 minutes. This shuts down a lot of unwanted bacteria but allows many wild lactic acid bacteria cultures.

My wild captures with this process all turn out well. Just prevent oxygen exposure to avoid mold.

Cheers

In theory you could use beersmith or bru'n'water with a tiny volume, but I'd just be droppering and testing it. Go Beavs!

how a starter responds to acidification will depend on the water used, and to a lesser degree on the source of sugar (extract? mash first runnings? second runnings? etc.). so any generic advice, like "add X ml of Y to Z amount of starter" won't be universally valid... and should be taken with a grain of (calcium chloride) salt.

Latest posts

Back