Pour starts fast, slows down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BreezyBrew

IPA is my spirit animal
Reaction score
Hello,

I've got my kegerator setup just the way I want it. When I start pulling a pint, the flow rate is good. As I continue to pour, the speed tapers off. I would suspect this is from the C02 pressure not being replaced back in the keg.

Is there any way to change this other than buying a new regulator?

Unless your regulator is severely faulty and your keg is filled to the very rim with beer, I can't imagine the regulator being your problem. A full keg at pressure with the gas turned completely off will usually serve a few pints before you notice a slowdown in the flow rate.

I would suspect something different like maybe a clogging dip tube, or poppet on your liquid side.

How large are your gas lines?
Can you see the gauge on the regulator and see if the pressure is dropping while tapping?
As the keg empties the gas space will increase which will help your problem.

C02 lines are about 5' to the distributor, then 2' from the distributor to the current keg that's on.

The pressure drops while the tap is open and pushing beer. It drops a few PSI, then an hour or so later it's back to the same PSI.

I think he was asking about the I.D. of the gas line.
But even if that is very small, you still shouldn't be seeing the flow rate drop like you are.
I still think it's on the liquid side, personally.

[...]The pressure drops while the tap is open and pushing beer. It drops a few PSI, then an hour or so later it's back to the same PSI.

That ain't right. I'm going to finger the regulator.

Unless the keg is full or darned close, pulling one beer shouldn't drop the head space pressure by a few psi before the regulator recovers and brings it back up to your pressure setting - in dozens of seconds, maybe.

Should certainly not take an hour - that would be one lethargic regulator.
And it might be, I guess...

Cheers!

Do you have the valve on the CO2 tank open all the way? Any shutoffs on your system, are the all wide open. You shouldn't see the presure drop on the reg, just from pouring a beer

The id of the gas line is 5/16. I checked all of the valves, and they are all open. I'll do some more testing. Maybe it wasn't an hour, but the pressure definitely dips.

is it overcarbonated?
did you carb with sugar or co2? if co2, how did you carb? If sugar, how much?
whats your serving pressure?

On my last setup i had a 2-way straight from the reg. When i had 2 relatively full kegs on tap and almost empty on my tank, the pressure would drop on the serving gauge, Im assuming it was to equalize out?
Was never really sure why it happened but i do not have this problem anymore due to 1way valves on my remote manifold.

When was the last time u got a tank filled?
Are you using a 5lb or 20oz tank? How many kegs are on your system?
Also if keg pressures are set different without separate regulators that might be your prob.

Carbonation is just about right. My serving pressure is 9 PSI. I force carb for 2 days at 30 psi (without shaking), then serving pressure for 2 or three days. I have a two way manifold. I can't remember exactly how many kegs, my best guess is 4. I use a 5 lb tank. When the pressure dropped, there was only one keg on.

Back