Potential contaminant..... Need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaWhite5522

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was making a 5 gallon batch of blueberry wine. I smashed the berries and added 5 campden tabs to the must then 24 hours later pitched my yeast. Everything was fine, the must fermented well for 14 days then I racked off the berries. When I topped up the carboy with some grape juice concentrate a piece of the rubber seal from the can fell in the carboy. I'm wondering since fermentation is done should I just stabilize the wine now to prevent it from going sour while I let it bulk age and just accept it as a sweet wine? I'm making it for my girl who loves sweet wines so it being sweet isn't a huge deal.

The thing about wine, because the higher alcohol among other things it is less sensitive then beer. It should be fine but you just keep an eye on it. is it is still fermenting now you have added more sugar (by means of the concentrate)?

And you can't "stop" it. It will continue to ferment until all of the sugar is gone or the alcohol gets strong enough to kill the yeast. After that happens, you can stabilize it and add sugar back to sweeten it to taste.

Back