Potassium Sorbate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PawtucketPat

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been covered. I couldn't find an answer.

I obtained five gallons of unpasteurized apple juice to make hard cider. I added five campden tablets before pitching my yeast. I'd like to add potassium sorbate to inhibit the yeast so I can back sweeten and keg the finished cider. My understanding is that this only works in the presence of campden.

My question is...do I add additional campden now that fermentation is complete? Or is the original campden still there and sufficient to work with the potassium sorbate to kill the yeast?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Campden (potassium metabisulfite) is added again, as it dissipates relatively quickly.

One crushed (and dissolved) tablet per gallon is the usual 'dosage' and it can be added with the dissolved sorbate at the same time.

Thanks for the quick response. The cider is currently cold crashing. Is it ok to add these when it's cold or should I warm it back up?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back