Possible to stain rubber seal on keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texastrooper

Reaction score
I am in the process of building my second keezer. I bought a used white freezer which I now painted with chalk board paint. The whole freezer will be black with cherry wood stain on the wood color and some silver/chrome. Only the seal of the freezer will still stand out in white.
Has anyone attempted to stain the seal in black or any other color? I found some videos on the web where people stained rubber parts with dye. But I am not sure this will work for a larger object like the seal of a freezer.

Try Rit fabric dye. I have seen that used for some plastics before. I have also seen kids run wild with ball point pens and it won't come out of rubberized things like that. I'm not saying that you should take a bic stic to it or anything, I just expect that it will hold some sort of pigment.

Is the seal removable? If not, the Rit may be a challenge unless you get the liquid and use a dobber, just don't drip it onto your cherry wood.
Otherwise there's always this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot. Maybe the sharpy or permanent marker is a good idea. Less hassle than working with dye.

Try some vinyl dye, from the auto parts store, or the auto paint supply house.

Mar-Hyde brand comes to mind, and works well for dying vinyl seats, although it will wear off in high "traffic" areas.
Comes in a spray bomb, you clean it well with acetone, and they make a vinyl "primer", which is basically an adhesion promoter for use after cleaning.

You could always try it out on the back side, to see if you like the effect, as I think it would hold up well on a freezer seal.

Latest posts

Back