Possible problem with faucet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAAAA

Reaction score
So I just bought a used tower and it came with faucets. When I was inspecting the inside of the tower I noticed that the beer lines that come out of the shank (think that is right) run all the way down the tower and are ss. That is good and I think it will work if I just run my beer hose on the end of the tower but I am a little worried.

The ss line that goes into one of the shanks looks like it can move about an 1/8th of and inch out from the actual shank. I noticed this when I was trying to take apart the faucet for cleaning.

Thanks in advance.

So I answered some of my own questions but still trying to figure out the shank thing.

Is the ss beer line suppose to come out of the back of the shank? It pulled out and it looks like there is also some line in the shank. This is where my leak is coming from so I am trying to figure out how to fix this. Can I just jb weld the ss line to the back of the shank to stop the leak?

As in, some vinyl/pvc line attached to the shank? I wouldn't jb weld the ss line to the back of the shank, I would attach a beer line and secure it with a hose clamp.

It is the shank then a ss tail that runs the entire length of the tower. It pulled right outta the back of the shank though and that is where the leak is coming from. The other shank is the same way but it is not loose at all and does not leak.

Guess that will help big time since this doesn't look like a regular shank with welded on tail piece or removable tail. Gimme a few minutes.

My phone takes horrible pictures but here it is.

There is the picture of just the shank. Also on the inside of the shank is a little tube that looks like the same size as the ss beer line.

The other picture is of how the two shanks are hooked into the tower and then the picture of the ss beer line when it is just pulled outta the shank.

I was just thinking of using some kind of glue on the outside of the ss line and shank to hold it and then stop the leak. Don't want any funky flavors getting in the beer tho so bot sure if that is a good idea.

img20101219121050.jpg

img20101219121102.jpg

img20101216210247.jpg

img20101219121213.jpg

Ok. Now I see the issue. The SS tube is supposed to be soldered in place in the shank. For some reason this connection is not there. I'd clean it up and then assemble the pieces. Position everything (faucets included) and then add a drop or 2 of super glue to the connection. Let it cure and it should be good to go. The alternative is to replace the piece with a new one. Micromatic will be able to provide the parts if you contact them. Or just install a short elbow shank like this one from Micromatic:
Elbow Shank Assembly
4329AS-3E.jpg

Hope this helps.

What happened when you took the nut off the back of the shank inside the tower. These towers seem to have a 2 piece external (extended) shank, compared to the picture above.

What did the removed shank pieces look like - did they seperate. I like the look of the tower with the longer shank, and was wondering if the newer SS assembly could be combined with the existing components to keep the stock look.
Any chance for a picture?

jason

Ok. Now I see the issue. The SS tube is supposed to be soldered in place in the shank. For some reason this connection is not there. I'd clean it up and then assemble the pieces. Position everything (faucets included) and then add a drop or 2 of super glue to the connection. Let it cure and it should be good to go. The alternative is to replace the piece with a new one. Micromatic will be able to provide the parts if you contact them. Or just install a short elbow shank like this one from Micromatic:
Elbow Shank Assembly
4329AS-3E.jpg

Hope this helps.

That is what I was trying to figure out since this didn't look like a standard shank that people here have. So this was for sure suppose to be soldered on? Maybe I can just solder it back on. Will super glue be strong enough to make it stop leaking? I was thinking about using jb weld or something but I think that and super glue might give off flavors when pouring the beer.

Definitely was planning on replacing the shank with a ss one once I get the funds but I like the long ss lines running down the entire tower so I wanted to search for another option like hat.

What happened when you took the nut off the back of the shank inside the tower. These towers seem to have a 2 piece external (extended) shank, compared to the picture above.

What did the removed shank pieces look like - did they seperate. I like the look of the tower with the longer shank, and was wondering if the newer SS assembly could be combined with the existing components to keep the stock look.
Any chance for a picture?

jason

When I took the nut off I noticed that the ss line had about a 1/8th inch of play so I played with it and the ss line just pulled right outta the shank itself.

The shank is just one piece actually. The two chrome collars are there just for looks.

Solder it!

Stay-Brite Silver Solder Kit

Get this kit and after you clean and brighten up the metal pieces, solder the stem back in place. Use this solder just like you were working with copper pipe. It's low temperature and provides an excellent bond. The fix will be perfect.

Never soldered copper pipe, only small electrical stuff. Hmmm...maybe I can just find a good food grade epoxy.

Would any kind of solder work for this?

Back