Possible issue with newly installed manifold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Young Brewing

Apartment Brewer 🍻
Reaction score
I recently got a 2 way manifold from Amazon because I just purchased a beer gun filler and need the extra port. The issue I am having is that ever since I hooked up my C02 regulator to the splitter, it is reading 5 psi even when the tank is turned off, every port is set to open, and I have purged the regulator. The C02 regulator is 10 days old and I wouldn't think that it has an issue, but I don't see any way for there to possibly be 5psi in the system. Has anyone had any issues with regulator dials when installing manifolds or should I just go ahead and try switching regulators?

Close up of regulator:

IMG_0409.jpeg

Close up of interior:
IMG_0410.jpeg

I'd unscrew the gauge. If the pressure drops, it's the regulator (assuming you do indeed have it 100% open). If the pressure stays showing, it's a broken gauge.

Also be sure to push in the center of one of those keg connectors, or unscrew the hose from them. Because they'll retain pressure even when removed form the keg. There's a spring loaded poppet / O-ring thing inside that keeps it closed and you may have to give it a push to be sure any pressure has had a chance to escape.

I detached the regulator from the C02 tank and it stayed at 5 psi for a couple of seconds and then dropped down to 0. Seems to be working perfectly fine now, thanks for the help!

The ring at 10 o'clock in this pic is connected to a PRV valve with both automatic and manual features. With a fully closed cylinder valve, simply pulling the ring should release any remaining pressure...

Cheers!

Interesting how the scale from 0 to 5 is different to the 5 onwards. Is that because these gauges are not accurate below 5 psi?

Interesting - I didn't notice it until you mentioned it, but it sure looks like that zero to five is missing a couple of graduations.
Weird...

[edit] fwiw, one can google "30 psi gauge" and see plenty of examples, and some do tend to compress the 0 to 5 psi band, though not as obviously as the OP's gauge...

Finally got the thing to work properly. I think what must have happened is that I accidentally smacked the upper meter at some point, causing the dial to get stuck on the 5 psi point. After putting the regulator back onto the C02 tank it ended going back up to 5psi until I started twisting and adjusting the top part. I had to hit it a couple of times for it to drop down to 0 psi. Funny that you both mention the compressed 0 to 5 band because I didn't even notice, already regretting this purchase...

I've had needles touching the gauge face causing them to not want to move. Usually comes after dropping the thing. Could happen in shipping I suppose. Worth a check for that.

Back